Default Folder opening problems

How do I change my folder options? It opens with "search" instead with "open". How to restore it to default? btw. I tryied going to control panel but it doesn't help and it's not a virus either. It only occurs in My documents...

Hi ComputerNoob,

Welcome to Help2Go!

Let's see if I got this straight. When you go to My Documents in your Start Menu and click, it won't open. Right? But, if you go to Start Menu Search, in the left pane, it will open. Is this correct? Please clarify if I am wrong.

Also, when you go to Folder Options in Control Panel and choose Restore Defaults, this option refers to all folders. Not just the My Documents folder.

Have you tried to Right Click on the My Documents folder in the Start Menu, navigate to Properties and choose Restore Defaults from there?

Let me know if this helps. I'll search around for more information on this. In the meantime, other members may jump in with info. that may help.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 05-31-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: verbiage
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi again ComputerNoob,

Here's another option. If the above information does not sort out the issue, try this.

Windows XP:

Step 1 Open a folder. In your case the My Documents folder.

Step 2 Click on "Tools" on the toolbar. A drop-down menu will appear.

Step 3 Click on "Folder Options..."

Step 4 Click on the "View" tab.

Step 5 Click on "Restore Defaults," and click on "Apply" and "OK" to complete the procedure in
    Windows XP

Found in this link here --> How to Restore Default Folder Options | eHow.com
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Hey, thank you for your suggestions but nothing seems to help. This is what happens: I try to open ANY folder on my desktop or in my documents but instead of opening the folders it gives me the "search" option.

Hi ComputerNoob,

Let's try the following.

Please copy and paste all of the following quote into Notepad exactly as it is and save it to your Desktop as > folderopeningsearch.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    @="none"
    Then, go to your Desktop and double click the file. When asked if you want to add to the registry, say yes.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Let me know how it goes.

Donna
    Last edited by arraknid; 06-01-2010 at 01:41 PM.

OMG thank you so much! It works perfectly now!

That's wonderful to hear! Thanks for letting us know your issue has been corrected!

And a many thanks go to arraknid for showing me how to get you through this registry fix without actually sending you to the registry itself!

Happy Computing!
    Donna