Thread: Am I Infected?

Default Am I Infected?

I use yahoo email. I just received a message from a different name but with MY email address. I didn't click on the link (of course). But I wonder if my address book has been grabbed by a spammer. Years ago I got messages from addresses that were in my son's address book. Since I got this one from "me" i am wondering if other people who are in my book will be getting messages and thinking that I am spamming them. I am also in my book. Thanks for any help that you can give and especially any ideas about what I can do to stop this. I went to the full headers option and then blocked the address I found there as well as the addresses supplied by whois. I don't know if that will help to stop this from getting to others in my book.

The easiest way to find out is to ask the others in your address book.

Getting an email from yourself is sometimes just a mistake in the setup of the other persons email. Some can specify a "reply - to" address, which they can make anything.

Some mistake this for the address they want to send the email too, and write the recipients email address there, creating the illusion that the email came from you, too you.

If people are getting emails from you that you did not send, come back and let us know.

Something else you can do, is create another email address, something obscure, from a free email. Add this address to your address book, and dont tell ANYONE it.

If you receive an email to that account, you know something is up!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Make sure you change your password and secret question/answer. If someone else got a hold of your authentication information, they could be using your email address to forward spam from an entirely different system.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NeonFx For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the help. I have gotten back 5 replies and so far no one got the same spam. Also I checked another of my addresses that I use for some businesses and so far at least it didn't get anything "from me". I guess my address book wasn't grabbed. Just kind of scared me for awhile.

If is a common spammer trick to "spoof" your own address. Just make sure you keep Windows current and you use a decent real-time anti-malware solution, software based firewall and a decent spamblocker is a good idea too. And don't post your email address in public places, like in the text of one of these posts. Badguys "troll" forums, chat rooms, and other social networking sites for valid addresses to use, and to spam.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────