Default dell inspirion 1150 AC problem

Hello,
    We just replaced the input thing for the AC adapter on this laptop. We soldered it to the motherboard, but the AC adapter STILL won't work correctly. We have tried two different power cords. Both of those cords work fine for a different Dell laptop. The battery is dead - it'll run the computer for about five minutes ... then die. What could the problem be???

Thanks in advance, H2G has always come thru in the past!!!

Sean

Most likely the motherboard is damaged. Incorrect soldering techniques can cause this too, to much heat from the solder iron can cause the copper conductors on the board {Lands} to open resulting in no connection. Maybe best to consider taking the Laptop in for repair.

zep516

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Default update

Thanks, zep ... let me expand a little, though.

After I posted that, I started to recall what I did with my old Dell c610. I was having the same issues, and I always assumed it was the adapter itself. Thusly, I kept finding cheap adapters on eBay.

What I did with THIS Inspirion 1150 was pull out the battery COMPLETELY, and plug in an AC adapter. With a little jiggling and persuasion, the laptop powered up and ran - about twenty minutes. Then, I moved it SLIGHTLY and it powered off. I am thinking this sounds like the need for a NEW AC adapter ... since that worked for me in the past.

If, as you said, the motherboard became damaged - I'd doubt the computer would ever come on ... but I really don't know. Everything I know about computers has been trial and error, and following Godsent forums like this!!!

Thanks again for the help, Zep!!!

With a little jiggling and persuasion
    That sounds like a loose connection at the Motherboard with the plug in part where the adapter fits into , or more often then not a bad connection point on the ac adapter itself, usually located right at the metal pin that connects to the plug the wire often comes separated at this point. That's why jiggling makes it work or not work.

You can use a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) to check the voltage if you have one. Put the red lead on the very tip of the ac adapter black lead on the longer metal part and check your voltage there usually 14 OR 17 Volts DC once you get a voltage reading wiggle the wire and see if the voltage drops to zero indicating an open.