Default Laptop keeps cutting off???

I was wondering if someone had advice that could help me? My Daughter has an Acer laptop. It has had an issue with just cutting off after a few minutes of being on. We had it looked at and was told that the power cord was bad which in turn made the battery bad. We bought a new power cable and are in the process of getting a new battery. Well we have noticed that even when we are directly plugged in with the power cable and no battery it still cuts off. I started it in safe mode and ran virus, spyware and malware checks and it came up clean. I also deleted a lot of unneeded things like games and pictures. I actually got called away from the computer and ended up not coming back for about 4 hours and the computer was still on. So in safe made it stays on. I thought maybe I had cleaned up the problem so I switched back to normal and within 5 minutes it shut off. Any ideas?

Hi lrx5877,

Have you tried a Malwarebytes scan? If not see below:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop from here Malwarebytes.org
    Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select "Quick Scan", then click Scan.
    • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
    • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
    • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

I'm thinking its more of a heat issue.

in safe mode, the laptop uses a very basic graphics mode that is not as power hungry as normal mode.

Of course, malware not loading in safemode due to its restrictive loading policy could also be the answer, but i'm going 70-30 towards heat.

Do you get a flash of a blue-screen as it shuts off?

Try disabling the automatic reboot on system failure and see if you get a bluescreen that stays on, if so, post that info here

To Disable automatic reboot on system failure:

• Turn off the computer and wait 30 seconds.
    • Press the power button, then tap the F8 key until this screen appears:

• Choose the option highlighted in the picture and then start the computer normally.

If you then get a screen like this one below, please post all the information contained in the technical information section, as well as the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA message, and any filenames that appear.

If no bluescreen appears, then Zep's idea is looking good, and i just lost 70%
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

@MrDarn,

Since the user has already removed games downloaded by the daughter I feel it important to scan for other related malware even if it's not the cause of the cut offs. The user said "they scanned for malware" but we don't know what scanner was used. I would like to see a clean Malwarebytes log first, see what's running on the computer too in the way of Anti virus programs etc.

With the information given I think the exercise above needs to be done, Then move towards your direction MrDarn.

Apologies Zep,

irx5877, please follow Zep's advice. He has a great deal of experience with Malware issues, and you will be in good hands.

MrDarn.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Apologies Zep
    None necessary, Glad you posted what you did. Just letting you know why I took that approach. Please feel free to help me out here anytime.