Default Corrupted Files in CBS.log folder.

Hello, I ran a command prompt "sfc /scannow" to check the integrity of the files, and was told some were corrupted. I can access them through safe w/ networking, but don't know what to make of the log. It says not to post a log here so I won't, but if anyone has any advice, I have it in notepad.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    Ps: I may can include it as an attachment. Too large to attach.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those files should have been replaced during the scan. The log is just a record of what was found. Were you asked to insert the operating system disk? Try running sfc /scannow from the Run box on the Start menu, not the Command Prompt.

Are you having problems now? And why did you run the scan in the first place?

And, no, please don't attach the logfile. It won't help.

This article explains sfc /scannow and any problems that may arise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

Hello. Thanks arraknid, for your reply. No I wasn't told to insert the operating disc. I ran the scan, as I had recently deleted several programs; and wanted to make sure all the files were still in good order, etc... When I
    ran the scan, the result was, "Windows Protection System was unable to repair some of the corrupted files"..."You can find the details, in CBS.log". (Or something very similar, to that). The impression I got, was that instead, "of those files being replaced" (as you said); the response I received was that some of the corrupted files were, but some could not be. I'm not yet having any problems with the laptop, but I don't use it as often,
    but, I guess we'll see. My main reason for posting, was to see, "Is there a way to fix those corrupted files?" (which it reports- are still there).
    Thanks, scottt331.

Blog Entries

As I said previously, the CBS.log file is a list of what happened when SFC was run. This article explains how to interpret the results. It's for Vista, but applies to other Windows versions too.

If there are files that couldn't be repaired, the next step is to run a Repair Install which will retain all of your data and files and replace all system files. It's also possible that the files shown as corrupted aren't that important, and will have little effect on the machine as you currently use it. That's not to say they won't be a problem in the future.

You talk about deleting programs. Hopefully, you used the Add or Remove Programs option rather than simply deleting them. That will ensure that no system files are removed during the process. Remember that Windows does attempt to protect itself, so it's very unlikely you got rid of any important system files.

Try the Repair Install option, or simply leave things as they are until you find problems appearing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

Thanks a bunch, arraknid. You know a lot about computers. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it very much. scottt331.

Blog Entries

You're welcome. Good luck.