Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power Surge

I just wanted to post a follow-up. First and foremost thanks to everyone who replied. This board has been my saving grace. Sad thing is my Dell has been so reliable and it's been two power issues from CENTRAL HUDSON GAS & ELECTRIC that have caused all the problems.

I just got the power supply from Dell, installed it and she's running great!!!! Only thing I encountered was the logitech cordless mouse wouldn't work. I knew the batteries were new, hooked my HP mini to it, it worked fine. When I bought the Dell it came with an adapter that plugs into the mouse port with a usb attached to it. I unhooked this plug and put the USB part of it into a USB port and everything A OK. Yippeeee!!! Insurance company gave us pretty much squat for the machine. By the time they depreciated it they allowed $400 to replace it and I have a $500 deductible on the policy. From now on this machine will be UNPLUGGED when not in use. It will be on a surge protector but will be unplugged when I'm finished with it.

The thing that ticked me off installing the power supply was they shorted me a jumper. Luckily the existing one was fine. When I called their tech support all the technician seemed to want to do was have their sales dept call me to buy a new computer. I hope they call me, they're going to get an earful.

Thanks again everyone. Got lucky $70 fixed the problem and if this lasts another year, then I'm still ahead of the game.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's a great outcome. As you say, it could have been much worse. You may find this thread interesting...

Dell is in big trouble

without having read it I would now say YES. When I had your help with getting everything off my hard drive to a flash drive, I called in to Dell because the recovery disk was being a pain. A Phillipino gentleman who called himself "Robert" was of great help. He installed all my drivers for me in lickity split. I praised him in the survey they gave me. This time around and my first initial call were unbelievable. I kept asking the first woman if the power supply had any fuses in it. It took 5 times asking her the same question to get an answer. This second call was worse. While trying to get my point across I saw I could disconnect the jumper I was looking for from the bad power supply and then all I really needed from her was schematics of what plug went where, just to make sure I had it all done right. I gave up. All the plugs looked interchangeable anyway as they were all the same, one yellow, one red and two black all four pin. Then to tell me my dimension was "OLD" and I should replace it really got me steamed. These companies outsource their help to third world countries with personnel who can barely speak your language and they wonder why you get angry. I can remember packard bell's tech staff being in India, boy was that fun!!! A lot of folks who buy computers simply know how to turn them on so if you have someone on the phone who you can barely understand there is no way you'll be able to solve a computer problem. I'm lucky enough to know my way around my computer pretty well.

Looking like HP is going to be the big daddy of computers now?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking like HP is going to be the big daddy of computers now?
    OMG, I hope not!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123