Default Screen Acting Up

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop manufactured in 2005. Three times in the last 2 months, what I have had on the screen disappears and a pattern covers the whole screen. The first time it was broad stripes, the second a red herringbone pattern, and the third was blue and white Yankee pinstripes. I jave not been able to get out of the pattern and I have to turn the computer off. When I restart everything is OK. Everything else about the computer is fine. Any diagnoses?

Larry607,

Is that a CRT type Monitor? If you're not sure provide the make and Model #

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What you describe is typical of a couple of scenarios...

1. Your graphics card is faulty. If so, you can't repair it.

2. The connection between the main board and the screen is faulty. That could be down to a loose connection or a more significant hardware failure.

The simplest way to decide which is the cause is to connect the laptop to an external monitor. If the same thing happens on that screen, it's likely that the fault lies with the graphics card. If it doesn't happen, it'll be suggestion 2. That could be a simple fix or not, in which case it'll be expensive.

Let us know what you find.

Oh Boy! It's a laptop. My bad.

Ok, thanks. The next time it does it I'll put it on my desktop monitor. I appreciate your input, be blessed!