Default Computer goes really slow and programs do not respond every week or so

Hi,

First off, let me just say I truly appreciate this kind of forums run by people who share their computer knowledge with people who require it; really a nice way to give back! And second, English is not my first language, so let me know if anything isn't clear!

So here's the problem: Every week or so, my computer will take a much longer time than usual to boot. Around 5-10 minutes. Then I type my password, and it also takes a long time to open my session; this has taken hours a few times. When my session opens, a few things happen. First, Windows security center says my antivirus is turned off; I haven't turned it off and I can't turn it back on. When I try to, Windows asks me if I allow avast! to run, I say yes, and nothing happens. The other thing that happens is that everything takes a while to open and, when open, the window opened says "does not respond". Opening Firefox takes 5-10 minutes, and when I open a bookmarked page, the "does not respond" tag appears, usually pretty quickly, but sometimes I get the chance to surf a little (very slowly that is) before firefox stops responding. Note that sometimes firefox will un-"does not respond" (if that makes sense). MSN messenger stops responding before I even get logged on. I usually don't try to open anything else when the happens because I feel it is kind of pointless to try and open stuff that will not respond; even opening a folder on my desktop can take a while.

Now a few things to know: this problem happened a while ago, at the time I was very busy and couldn't really worry about it, so I found out letting my computer open for a few days, then rebooting it would "fix" the problem, temporarily obviously. But I had to let it open for a while, and I'm not sure if it's even related to the problem disappearing. Since then I got one of my father's partner (who's a computer technician or something like that) to completly wipe clean my system and he installed Windows 7 for me (I had Vista). I backed up important stuff on an external hard drives, scanning everything to make sure I would not put a malicious file on my hard drive and then put it back in my computer. And even then, with Windows 7, nothing left from my old computer, the problem reappeared.

A friend told me this sounded like a hard drive related problem, and suggested I run disk scans. When the problem came back, I did; it took around 4 hours, and the problem was "fixed". But then it appeared again, and I ran another disk scan, and it was fixed again. Now the problem's back, I'm running a disk scan once again; but the last 2 scans I ran (the one I'm running now and the one I ran around 1 week ago) did not take 4 hours, the first one took around 30, and the current one it is at hour 5 and isn't close to be done. I can tell from the following:

"CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    14 percent complete. (5472933 of 109844752 free clusters processed)

Not that I know what it means, but that's a lot of free clusters and it's not going up very fast (just like last time).

I have a laptop and everything installed on my desktop computer is also on my laptop. And I've run mutliple scans and everything, so I would really be surprised if a malicious file was doing this. And when the problem occurs, my CPU is not through the roof and I have checked if some programs were running weekly scans or updates, and I've disabled most of the programs that were running at startup.

I'm a big computer user but not a very good technician, but here are the infos I have about the computer (taken from the side of it!)

HP Pavillon Media Center m8425f PC
    Intel Core Quad Processor Q6700
    3072 MB System Memory
    1000GB Hard drive (I don't know if that makes a difference, but I have a C: and a D: for 400 something GB each; never used the D and have only 60 GB used in the C: since reformatting)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Let me know if some information is missing, and sorry for the long post. Thank you for your time and help, truly appreciated =)

Hi johnthewolf,

I'd go right to the dell site and run there hard drive test Here. You may need the cd to do it or as the link describes it could be a bios option on you're machine. Let us know how it goes.

zep516

* May want to consider saving important files now. If the drive is on the brink of failure it's possible running any test could cause it to fail completely.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Alright, thanks I'll look into it after the very long scan is over. 15/105 millions clusters processed o_O

However, my comp's a HP, so is this the equivalent of the test you recommended? Or maybe that one?

I had run the diagnostics F9 test before, no result. Hadn't tried the F10 though.

Blog Entries

I think you will see more of this type of problem...they have created these big 1Tb drives and call them green ....but the mechanical size is not increasing much...my point is they are stuffing (not a very technical term) all this space into a mechanically small same size drive

Just a statement ...not much help for your problem

I replaced a 1Tb HDD with a 160gig...that is quicker and better than the original green 1Tb HDD....but I do not need a 1Tb drive...so it was a personal choice that worked for me
    Last edited by arraknid; 06-19-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: changed 1 gig to 1 Tb
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Hi guys,

My apologies for the lack of reply, here's an update on the situation:

After the very long scan, I did the 2 tests mentionned in my previous post (hoping they are the equivalent of the ones Zep516 suggested) and they revealed no error. Afterward, my computer was working like it was new (as usual after disc scan).

It's been around 10 days, and the problem reappeared suddenly. I'm in the process of doing a non-thorough disc scan (this without checking "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"), hoping it'll temporary (again) fix the problem in less time.

Is it possible my hard drive needs to be replaced? If so, how complicated is it to replace it? With the problems I've been experiencing I have no important data and almost nothing installed on this hard drive so I could get my computer reformatted/reinstalled with a new hard drive without any worries. I'd just like to be sure the hard drive is the issue and the replacment is necessary before doing anything "drastic".

Thanks again for the help, I'll update the situation once the current scan gets over with. If it could temporarily fix the problem it would already be progress, as my computer would be unusable around 1 hour every 10 days as opposed to 30 hours with the thorough scan...

As usual, scan found no error, and the problem wasn't solved. Now when I rebooted I got a screen saying the disk could not be read; press ctrl alt delete to restart. I did, now I'm on the startup repair screen, which never helped but I guess I have no choice to go through it!