Default Vista Can't Reload Complete PC Backup

I have a Sager running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. 4GB ram. 300GB total and about 285GB free. It is under warranty, but it takes forever to call them, send it in, then wait to get it back. My computer's OS was malfunctioning, so I sent it in, and the OS was corrupt. Sager informed me of this, and I gave them permission to format my HD and reinstall Vista Ultimate 64-bit because I made a Complete PC Backup about a month before the malfunction on a FreeAgent 500GB External HD. Now that I have received the fixed laptop, I have attempted to utilize this backup. However, I now realize that I need to access the Windows Recovery Environment and that I need the original Windows Vista disc in order to do so (there is not a partition). Well I either, by some fluke, never received the Windows Vista disc, or it somehow did not make it to my filing cabinet with the rest of the driver discs, install discs, et all that came with my laptop when I first received it almost 3 years ago. So I am stuck with a PC backup and no way to access it. I have thought of two possibilities save for contacting Sager and going through their rigorous process of support: Can I find a friend with the same OS and just use his disc to access the Recovery Environment then just load the backup onto the PC from that? Also, could I purchase a 64-bit copy of Windows 7 and somehow install Windows 7 and recover all my files at the same time? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

NOTE: I consider myself relatively computer savvy, but I have never needed to do anything like this.
    Last edited by bknesal; 07-02-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Added note at the bottom.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can download the Vista Recovery Disk from here. It's a torrent file so you'll need to install appropriate software to to the download. This is as good as any. Burn it to a disk and load it at startup.

If you can find a disk with Vista 64bit, you can use that too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

Okay I used the Vista Recovery Disk you recommended. I clicked Repair Your Computer, and it did not recognize an OS (there was none in list). I clicked Next and this led to a screen with a few options including Startup Repair, System Restore, and Windows Complete PC Restore. I attempted the Windows Complete PC Restore and it recognized the backup on my External HD. I went through the steps indicated on the screen and clicked Finish and confirmed that I want to format the disk and restore the backup. It then went to a loading type screen that said "Preparing to Restore your disks..." right below the loading bar. The loading bar started with a little bit of blue (probably around 5%) already there and did not make it any further until I received the following message:
    The Windows Complete PC Restore operation failed.

Error details: Element not found. (0x80070490)

I googled this and couldn't find a viable solution.

Blog Entries

The problem is that the installed version of Vista isn't being recognised, so the backup won't continue. Check your BIOS settings to ensure the installed Vista is first in the boot queue after the CD drive. Then when you start up the Vista Recovery disk, don't have the external drive plugged in. Just before you start the Complete PC Restore option, plug the external drive in.

The restore option must be able to see an installed version of Windows before continuing. If it doesn't, it won't work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

The problem was the boot order. I had the external drive plugged in before turning the laptop on. So I followed your advice: I unplugged it, rebooted from the disk, plugged it in, then went to system restore. It is currently restoring. Thank you very much!

Blog Entries

You're welcome. It's always the simple things that cause the most problems.