Default Unable to acquire network address

I was working on an old P4 computer for a friend. I used his disc to restore his Window XP operating system. I then installed SP2. Everything was working fine but then I downloaded AVG. I removed an old copy of Norton that did not work. I ran the AVG scan and found three trojans which I placed in the vault. I turned off the computer and went to bed.

The next morning the computer would no longer connect to the internet saying it was unable to acquire a network address. The system is a wired system using a Netgear Router. I hooked another computer to the cable and it worked fine.

I would appreciate any suggestions and what happened. I am at a lost and am not restoring the computer again so he can at least connect to the the internet.

Default Restored Again

I gave up and restored the computer again, loaded SP2, loaded AVG, and now it appears to work fine. I just hope it continues to do so.

I still have no idea why it began having the problems with network address.

Hi Josh5v,

XP is currently running at SP3. You may want to update it to SP3 as this is a vital update for XP users. And the support for SP2 in XP ends Tuesday, July 13th 2010.
    Please see Quote below.
    An unsupported version of Windows will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update. These include security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software, which can steal your personal information. Windows Update also installs the latest software updates to improve the reliability of Windows—new drivers for your hardware and more.
    You can receive that update from the link below, bottom of page, on the left where it states Install Windows XP SP3.
    All you have to do is click on >

End of support for Windows XP with Service Pack (SP2) and Windows Vista without service packs - Windows Help & How-to

And Thank you for letting us know that the issue has been sorted out!

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 07-11-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: correct SP version
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"