Default normal select cursor changes to precision

when in email,facebook,quicken and other applications, my normal select cursor changes to a precision select. When it does I cannot select any thing or even log out.

What type of mouse? If it's wireless something could be interfering with it or a battery issue. USB mouse? Try another usb port. Have you gone into control panel and click the mouse Icon and reselect normal select sometimes just going through that exercise will work.

Rebooting the computer could fix it as well.

It's possible the mouse is simply bad.

You may consider trying another one to see if that resolves the issue.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

have tried 2 mouses, rebooting and controll panel. Have I possibly changed a setting or could a program such as billeo cause the problem

If you think it's a setting maybe try a System Restore to a time when things were working. You can always undo a System restore point if unhappy with the results.
    What about booting to Safe Mode and see if mouse problem goes away there. Not sure what billeo is, unless it's a tool bar, If you suspect the problem started about the time you installed it consider uninstalling billeo to see if that resolves it. Try a different browser too never know.

Please provide operating System used?

Make and model of computer?

Desktop or Laptop?

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

When did the problem start?

If the mouse works fine on Windows' Desktop and with Windows Explorer, then I don't see that as a hardware problem. And not sure where a different browser will help if it does this with Quicken and email too - unless using on-line versions of each.

When you tried a different mouse, did you uninstall the old mouse drivers first?

Have you scanned for malware?

Are you using a mouse pointer scheme? You might try resetting back to the defaults.

I agree with zep516's recommendation to try Safe Mode, and System Restore, if this problem started recently. Is this the Billeo you speak of? If so, then that is a toolbar, but again, I don't see what that would have to do with Quicken, email or other apps. But I agree again, if this problem started right after you installed Billeo, I would uninstall it and see if the problem goes away.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Windows Expert IT Pro, 2007 - 2015

Default Laptop normal pointer changes to precision select

The anomaly occurs only online, and not on a particular web site. However, when I close the page the pointer goes back to normal. I went to Control Panel / Mouse properties and I saw no option that would fix the problem. Can anybody help me ? The computer is a Sony VAIO laptop witn Windows 7 Home version. Thank you.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

talekas, are you one and the same as davestone? If not, please start a new thread as we need to keep this open for davestone's replies. If you are the same person, we can arrange to have you set up on one account.

Blog Entries

Click the link below:
    Windows 7 - Mouse Pointers - Allow or Prevent Themes to Change

Edit:missed Canuck post of member ID
    Last edited by abseh1; 07-25-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: missed Canuck post
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Default Correct Mouse Precision Select problem

Ok, I had the same problem on a brand new Dell Studio laptop using the the touchpad mouse.

I took me a couple hours to try a few things, but I got to a point where I tried to reload Internet Explorer and it fixed the problem. I assumed it was a IE problem and not a mouse problem. I loaded IE 9 Beta instead of reloading IE8.

Hope this saves someone some work.

This problem was happening to me also and it was driving me crazy. I think I fixed it though. Here is how. Click on the Synaptics pointing device icon on your taskbar. Mine was hidden. Disable gestures. This worked for me on my laptop.