Default Help with Dell Mini 910 is it worth fixing?

Hi, I am new here but I have a Dell Mini Inspiron 910 that I love to keep handy. It is not a workhorse by any means but is good for looking something up online when needed. Yesterday I was searching for something and I got all sorts of strange pop up messages and I believe got a virus. I tried to shut down quickly but when I did ctrl, alt, delete, it had been disabled. I just turned it off hoping to keep the damage to a minium. However, turning it on today I can only get the blue screen with a stop error 0x0000007B. The Dell mini is pretty limited in that it does not have a cd drive and has limited diagnostic tools, although I did run a full diagnostic which turned up nothing. I paid about $400 for this about 20 months ago and it can now be bought for under $300. Is there anyway to fix this as I am not the most computer literate person. I believe having someone else look at it would cost more than it is worth. Any thoughts? Thank you so much!

Hi Bdud,

It does sound like you're infected from your description. The stop error can also be an indication of infection!
    all sorts of strange pop up messages
    Restart the computer. During restart keep tapping the F8 key. See if you can get the Windows Advanced Options Menu to load. If they load use the arrow keys and select Last known good configuration. If you can get running follow the steps below:

Help2Go Forums - How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

I tried the f8 but no luck, seems like on the mini the only options are f2 and f0. With f2 you do get the last known good configuration but that didn't work. Still takes me to the blue screen. The f0 takes me to a BIOS menu. I know some I have read online suggest to get an external cd drive and reload windows. There is nothing stored on this computer, it doesn't even have Word or anything, there might just be a couple of pictures but that is about it, so I'm not opposed to reloading windows, but I don't have an external cd drive (but I do have another laptop so maybe that would work?).
    Thanks!

Lets see what my co -forum friend says "MrDarn."

Always great ideas!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Blog Entries

Below is a 50/50 chance with most Dells

Sometimes ...pressing Fn and F8 will work

If not do what you did before F0 or F2

Try getting to the boot option that got you to last known

Then look for:
    Advanced Boot Options menu
    If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.

Note:You may not have this option with the Dell Mini Inspiron 910...but there is a chance you will

Good Luck
    • 3. Press the (Down Arrow) to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press Enter.

• 4. Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
    • 5. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.
    • 6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
    • 7. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
    • 8. Click to select the check box for Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition.
    • 9. Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
    • 10. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.
    Last edited by abseh1; 08-21-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Sometimes

To reset the dell laptop to the factory settings just click Ctrl and F-11 during boot up.

Right when you turn the laptop on during the dell screen.

If any work do not forget to install an Anti Virus Program and run Windows Updates too
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Something that worked once for me, a while ago, on xp:

Buy a cheep "caddie" and install your laptops harddrive into it. be sure to order the one compatible with your harddrive, i seem to remember dell's are special in some way.

Via USB, connect the drive to another computer. open 'my computer' on the other machine, and check to see what drive letter has been assigned to it.

now open a command prompt. to do that, hold the windows key and press [R] once. release the windows key, and a run box will appear. type CMD in this box and press enter.

(Note, if your operating system on the host computer is vista or above, you may need an elevated command prompt. to do this, find the program buried in the all programs menu. it should be something like "start - all programs - accessories - system tools - ". when you find it, right click it and select 'run as administrator')

when the CMD window opens, type chkdsk Driveletter: /r I.E, mine was assigned as K:, so i would type CHKDSK K: /r

once complete, reinstall the drive into the original laptop, and see if it will boot.If not, then it may be due to malware, and this process MAY INFECT THE OTHER COMPUTER TOO!!! so its up to you if you want to proceed.

Make sure the other computer is fully backed up before you try anything.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post: