Blog Entries

Default Message Auto-Detecting Pri Master...Press<Esc> to Abort

At boot = Message Auto-Detecting Pri Master...Press<Esc> to Abort
    (after waiting 45 seconds it boots very slowly and works OK)

WinXp Home Desktop (also tried WinXP Pro Install Disk too)...if you hit ESC it starts running a RTC program that is in DOS type
    If you reboot without hitting ESC it will boot ...but it takes 45 seconds to search the HDD (only one master..no slave) and CRDROMS etc

I finally used a slipstream disk to install Windows...it got past the 34 minute point in device install
    (I changed the license key after installing Windows)

It will boot but it takes several minutes and lags ...then shows Widows etc and goes to the desktop and runs fairly well if you give it time to finish loading Windows

The Start up items are only 2

I had a hard time clean installing Windows...it hung up at 34 minutes when installing the devices

I have researched Google for the 34 second issues & "Message Auto-Detecting Pri Master...Press<Esc> to Abort"
    I am concerned about doing another Clean install because it hangs at the device installs...(34 Minutes)
    ================
    I am guessing it is a hardware issue ..I changed the memory and disconnected Hardware and have set the BIOS several different ways...no help
    ========================================
    I know I am rabbling but I wanted to give as much info as possible
    =======================================
    Just hoping someone knows a solution...I suspect the BIOS or MoBo...
    I also changed the ribbon cables and used another HDD...no change
    Could it be the PSU...it is a 450 Watt?

Tks in advance ...abs
    Last edited by abseh1; 10-16-2010 at 09:00 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This could be related to the on-board hard disk controller going bad, but more often than not it's simpler than that. The last time I saw this, the HD and CD were on the same cable, both set to Master, but as you say 'cables', I assume they are cabled separately. It's much better to manually set the drives' Master/Slave settings rather than rely on Cable select, which can be problematic.

A few things to try...

• Try disconnecting the CD drive before booting.
    • Swap the HD cable to the CD drive connector.
    • Check the the BIOS setting for the Primary Master to see if the HD is recognised and, if necessary, change from Auto detect to Manual.

Did the machine work OK beforehand, or are you repairing it? If the latter, what were the symptoms?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

arraknid

Thanks for your time and help

It was not even posting ...it would power up as soon as you plugged it in...
    I fixed it with an PCI video card...it boots but as stated very very slow booting

I have another old computer and between the two...I am now @ installing SP3

Thanks...just for info the ROM were set Master/slave and the BIOS only allow auto detect or off

All is going well now...between the two computers ...she (an older lady in her 70's) will be back @ pogo and emailing soon...I hope

Thanks again
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer