Default how to delete router log

I am a bit of a computer dummy ......is my wireless router keeping a log on internet activity and if so can i delete it.....

Hi Donny,

Very good question! One I never thought to ask. From what I found most routers do keep this information on what is called a Status Page. Though we use the Linksys Router and we couldn't find it!

See link for more about Checking Router Logs.

Now, if you're concerned about your browsing history while you're on the Internet you'll then want to focus on How to Check Your Browser's History File.

Hope this helps to answer your question!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Default delete log plan B

thanks Donna ..I will try and get my head around it...as i said i am a bit of a computer dummy.......is it true that if you reset router mannualy (by pressing the button on the back with a pin) that you return it to factory settings and router log is erased?......

is it true that if you reset router mannualy (by pressing the button on the back with a pin) that you return it to factory settings and router log is erased?
    Yes! It will reset it back to "default settings" to where you will have to re-enter passcodes. Everything will be erased.

As posted by me above:
    Though we use the Linksys Router and we couldn't find it!
    Duh! It was turned off in Administrators settings. That's why we couldn't find it!

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

I just checked the log of my Netgear router and it was pretty benign. It showed the IP addresses of my networked computers, and it showed the IP of my assigned IP from my ISP. It did not show any IPs of sites visited by any of my computers. It also had a Clear Log button.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Windows Expert IT Pro, 2007 - 2014

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This sounds like the start of yet another internet myth! Or maybe just paranoia!

The router log or events journal is used by network technicians to analyse problems, and only records data pertinent to its operation. Boring stuff like local network activity, IP address details, firmware updates and connection errors/failures, but certainly not websites visited. There's no capability to do that. There's also no need to clear the list. Most of the entries disappear after a few days as they're replaced by new data.

And if the router offers VOIP connectivity, it doesn't store the numbers called either, just the event.

Boring stuff like local network activity, IP address details, firmware updates and connection errors/failures, but certainly not websites visited. There's no capability to do that.
    And that's exactly what we found. Nothing but the above as stated by arraknid.