Default Daughters computer is infected?

I understand that I need to include as much information as possible, but at this point I can only give the following error message. This happened about a month or more ago, and we have been unable to correct the problem. My husband and I have some computer knowledge, but this error has both of us stumped. We are hoping that someone can help us resolve this problem. The error message we were getting is as follows.

"windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt"

We tried one suggestion about a month ago ( I don't remember what we did), and seemed to get beyond the error message. We now see the desktop, but that is about as far as it goes. The computer will not connect to the internet, nor are we able to run any of the programs currently on the computer. We can see the programs, and some desktop icons, but nothing works.

That's about it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Norma and Jed

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This link describes the process of repairing that error. If you've done everything exactly as described in the manual options, your machine should work as before...

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

The secret is to take your time and double check all typed entries.

If your system is badly corrupted, you may need to reinstall the operating system. If you are left with that option, we can advise on how to save your personal data, if still intact.

Also try starting in Safe Mode. The work you've done up to now may allow you to access your files.