Default help needed recovering data from xp unbootable computer

When I turn on my xp desk top computer, I get crazy blocks of colors on my screen instead of the prompt to enter my password. After numerous attempts to start, start in safe mode, I am not able to get it running. I recently bought a new laptop that runs windows 7, and it's great. However, all my 8 years worth of pictures, music, documents and other files are on my xp computer. How can I access this data and put it on CD or my new windows 7 computer without spending a fortune? I am a computer novice, any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The best option is to buy a cheap USB external enclosure, fit the drive into it and plug it into the laptop. If the data is still there, you can transfer it onto the laptop hard drive. Just be sure to buy the correct version. You'll need a 3 inch and either a SATA connection or PATA (IDE). The easiest way to tell is look at the connector cables...

The top is PATA (IDE) and the bottom is SATA

Once transferred, try reformatting the drive and use it as a backup drive so you don't have to go through the same thing again.

Thank you Arraknid! I followed your advice and connected the xp hard drive to the PCusing external enclosure. I was so happy to find that I can see all my folders and files from the old hard drive, however I am unable to copy them over to my lap top. I get a message saying I don't have permission to access the folders. I tried following the prompts to grant access but its not really working. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    The best option is to buy a cheap USB external enclosure, fit the drive into it and plug it into the laptop. If the data is still there, you can transfer it onto the laptop hard drive. Just be sure to buy the correct version. You'll need a 3 inch and either a SATA connection or PATA (IDE). The easiest way to tell is look at the connector cables...

The top is PATA (IDE) and the bottom is SATA

Once transferred, try reformatting the drive and use it as a backup drive so you don't have to go through the same thing again.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You need to transfer ownership of the files which are currently 'owned' by the old XP operating system, to the new Win7 operating system. Go here and follow the instructions...

Take Ownership of a File or Folder

It can be laborious, but worth it. Just stick to folders rather than individual items.