Default Does Windows 7 32 bit have 2 program files folders?

Hi I have a Windows 7 64 bit installed and noticed that it has two folders: "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".

I am trying to setup some batch files for automating some installations but don't know if Windows 7 and Vista 32 bit have the two Program Files folders. I figured that the 64 bit OS has 2 folders because of legacy software used with 32 bit OS's but I don't have a 32 Bit Windows Vista or 7 to test with.

It seems like it wouldn't be necessary for a 32 bit Windows 7 or Vista to have a Program Files (x86) folder since it may be redundant.

Can any body confirm that there is only one folder and what it is called? Is it the same for Vista and 7?

Does Windows 7 32 bit have 2 program files folders?
    The answer is no.

Posted from my 32 Bit Windows 7...

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Blog Entries

Win7 64 bit has two program folders

Zep is correct Win7 32 bit does not ...however Win7 64 bit has two folders

Why Does Windows 7 64-bit Need Two Program Files Folders?

One is simply labeled Program Files and the other is labeled Program Files (x86). The first folder is the default location for all of your 64-bit programs. It does not have an extra label at the end because as a 64-bit operating system, it is assumed that you will have only 64-bit applications installed on your computer.

The second folder labeled Program Files (x86) is the default location for all of your 32-bit applications.

In a sense, it is a folder designed for legacy software that is left over from the days of 32-bit operating systems. The x86 portion of the folder name refers to the x86 32-bit architecture upon which the first 32-bit processors were developed such as the 386, 486, and Pentium CPUs.

Unfortunately, switching from 32-bit to 64-bit applications is not as simple as MS would like.

To make the switch, every software vendor, hardware manufacturer, and user would suddenly have to stop making and using anything built on a 32-bit architecture and begin using 64-bit. This is entirely impractical because most people are not willing to just junk their investment in hardware and software and buy everything new again.

Windows 7 32 and 64-bit

The real difference between Windows 32 and 64-bit has to do with how much memory the operating system can address. To “address” simply means to “keep track of.”
    Windows 7 32-bit (like previous 32-bit versions of Windows) can address up to 4,294,967,296 bytes of information. That’s 4GB of memory. Theoretically, a 64-bit operating system can address up to 1,8446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes of information.
    That’s 16.3 billion gigabytes. However, the memory limit on the consumer versions of Windows 7 is 128GB which is still beyond the physical limits of 8GB to 16GB for most motherboards.
    The batch files should work fine
    pedroimz wrote
    I am trying to setup some batch files for automating some installations

Credits: abs and the Internet
    Why Does Windows 7 64-bit Need Two Program Files Folders?
    Posted by Assem on Sunday, March 28th 2010
    Last edited by abseh1; 01-14-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for clarifying, I was hoping this was the case.

Blog Entries

My pleasure...when I went to Win7 64bit....I was confused by the two folders as well
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer