Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Can't get on the internet anymore...

>I'm writing this on my room mate's computer<

I have a Dell desk top computer that worked fine using Windows XP and Outlook Express via Charter cable -at my old address. Sorry I'm computer stupid. I have no clue what letters like RAM, LAN, HTTP, URL, etc mean. (I never really NEEDED to know)

I moved in here (divorce) and we switched from Charter Cable to wireless so I can use my own computer in my back room. I assumed I would still get my e-mails at Outlook Express and everything would be fine...
    So- I got a converter. The screen says we're connected, BUT- I can't connect to the internet. No browsing, can't get any of my favorites, and can't even find Outlook Express. I'm dead in the water.

Any clues about what I should do? I think there might be a problem with Microsoft, but I can't figure out what. Did I mention I am computer stupid, BTW... ?

Thanks,
    Uncle Ernie in Asheville

RAM, LAN, HTTP, URL,

Random Access Memory> Local Area Network> Hyper text transfer protocol> Universal Resource locater.

Just a few questions so we all can assist you better.

Did you change your Internet Service Provider Charter cable to another company like Comcast or AT&T, Wild blue, or other?

Have you tried connecting a cable directly to the Laptop? This will test the ability of the Laptop to connect at all. Then you / we can deal with the wireless issue later.

So- I got a converter.
    I'm not sure what you mean by a converter, can you elaborate a little more on that, what exactly is it? Make and model etc?

Answer the questions and we can provide better help.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

OK- We kept Charter, just switched from cable to wireless so we wouldn't have a long cable going to the back of the house.

Both computers are desk top models.
    I got a "wireless converter" that I plugged in the back,
    then Charter guys came out and plugged in an SMC Easy Connect instead. It plugs in tyhe back of the tower. (I guess it's like an antennae?)

Cable? You mean we should go back to cable? Would I have a seperate e-mail address if we did that?

A screen comes up on my computer in back that indicates the 2 computers in the house are connected, and the computer I'm using is -obviously- connected to the internet...
    Just need to figure out why MY computer won't connect.

Thanks

Sorry I thought it was a Laptop and you could easily connect a Ethernet cable from the router or modem directly to the Laptop just to see if this was a wireless issue. Obviously you don't have a Ethernet cable that long so....

1. Have you simply tried using a different browser to connect with?

2. Down by the clock do you see the small computers that represent a connection or no connection? If so right click on them and check out the options available.

3. Was the computer connected when Charter was there, did they actually test the connection? If so have you done anything that may have caused an issue.

4. You might also consider un-plugging the router or modem for 3 mins or so then replug it back in.

5. Lets get it connected or try to. Then we can address the E-Mail issue... since you're still with Charter your E-Mail should remain the same.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

1) If by "browser, you mean choosung between Google or Yahoo, etc, I would need to be able to connect to the internet to do that.
    Otherwise- I don't understand what you mean by "browser".

2) The little icons on the bottom right say I'm conected with 4 bars.

3)The charter guys both said I am connected -I guess that means to the host computer I'm typing on? They were both mystified why I can't get on the interent. "Thanks! See ya..."

4) I shall unplug the modem as soon as I send this reply.

5) Funny thing; I had the Outlook Express on my screen, but something happened and now I can't find it...

unplugging...

Browsers are primarily intended to access the World Wide Web like Internet Explorer, Mozilla FireFox, Opera.

OH- you mean I should get rid of Windows XP?
    How would I change it? Do I need to get some kind of disk and run it in my tower?
    If I has Windows before, why can't I use it now?

Hi UncleErnie,

Let's see if I can help somehow. zep516 doesn't mean to get rid of Windows XP.

Windows XP is the name of a Software Program called an Operating System which is also just called "OS" that is on your computer. It is the most important program that runs on a computer. There are all sorts of them out there, including Vista and Windows 7. Those 3 are the most popular OS's around.

The Browser is also called a Software Program. There are all sorts of them out there too! The most common is Microsoft Internet Explorer which is also just called "IE", but you also have others such as Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome. I believe that you may only have Internet Explorer on your computer. It comes as part of all Operating Systems because that is how Microsoft designed it to be. The other ones than I mentioned have to be installed by you.

The Internet Explorer (IE) browser icon looks like this-->

Look for that icon either on your desktop (screen of your computer) or place the mouse arrow on the Start Button that is found in the lower left part of the Desktop and click on it. There should be an Internet Explorer (IE) icon in the list that pops up if one is not found on the Desktop. Click the IE icon 2 times and let me know if a "window" pops up.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions at all if you have any.

Last edited by DonnaB; 01-16-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Yes- Internet Explorer.
    I get a screen that says it can't connect to the internet.

Good! Now, I need to find out what version of IE (Internet Explorer) that you have to make my research a bit easier.

Click to open IE. In the upper left corner of the screen you will see what is called the Menu Bar. I have included what it looks like below.

In the Menu Bar click on Help. A "drop down" box will appear. In that box click on About Internet Explorer. Another box will pop up. In the next box look for the Version of which IE you have.

Let me know what it says.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast