Default 500gb drive full

Hello,

I need some help badly. Less than a year ago I purchased a Dell Lap Top with Windows Vista and a 500GB hard drive. As of this morning I have only 38 gigs left! I checked all of my personal, system and program files and the only take up a very small portion of the hard drive and the biggest files are my photos (I am a photographer) but they only take up 78gigs of space. I have done a disk chk, disk cleanup, defrag, checked for viruses, etc. The computer came up clear for problems and viruses. I read on another forum of a person last year who had the same experience and said he figured out it was a Dell RA program. He disabled it and deleted the User and he got back 400+ gB of space. I have not clue how to do this.

My question is has anyone had a the same experience and how did they resolve it?

Thank Much,
    Cate

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It sounds as though you need to turn off Volume Shadow Copy service. See here for a how-to guide...

Disable and Turn Off System Restore (Shadow Copy) in Windows Vista My Digital Life

There's also a link on that page to a guide that'll limit the amount of disk space allocated to the Shadow Copy service...

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...with-vssadmin/