Default OpenOffice and Java

Good morning

I downloaded the openoffice update the other day and couldn't find a link to download it without Java, which I removed from this computer some time ago after following the advice in this article : Help2Go Forums - Protect Your Computer: Turn Off Java

As Java was being installed during the Oo update, I clicked cancel and the update continued without installing Java (I thought). After the Oo update was complete, I checked to make sure in Add/Remove and there was no mention of Java nor was there any mention of it under the plugins tab in Firefox.

However, when I ran FileHippo this morning, lo and behold, it tells me I have JRE v. 1.6.0.22 installed and that there is an update available : 1.6.0.23 (32 bit).

I'd like to completely uninstall Java (again) but how do I do this if I can't find it, even though FileHippo says I have it?

Thank you.

Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Hi Steph,

Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.
    Please follow these steps to remove older versions of Java.

Please download JavaRa and unzip it to your desktop.
    • Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start.
    • Use the drop down box to choose your language and click Select.
    • Select "Remove Older Versions".
    • Click Yes when asked "This will remove all older versions of the Java JRE...Are you sure you want to proceed?"
    • Click Ok when search and removal of old versions has completed.
    • A notice will appear indicating "Finished searching for all old versions...A logfile has been created...called JavaRa.log...
      JavaRa will now open its logfile."
    • Click Ok and notepad will open with the log results of what was found and removed.
    • View the logfile and close notepad.
    • A copy of JavaRa.log will automatically be saved to your primary hard drive (usually C\:JavaRa.log).
    • Return to JavaRa and click the button for Additonal Tasks.
    • Select these Tasks:
    • Remove Useless JRE Files
    • Remove Startup Entry
    • Remove JavaRa Logfile (optional)
    • Click Go and then Ok when prompted "Finished searching for useless JRE files.
    • Click Ok again when prompted "Finished searching for JRE startup entries.
    • Close the Additional Tasks window, exit JavaRa and reboot your computer.

As stated above, this should remove older versions and all the remnants of any files found.

Let us know if you have any questions at all.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy C.B.

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Donna, I should have remembered about JavaRa

Anyway, I've run it three times but it hasn't worked as the pesky thing is still there - FileHippo still tells me I have JRE v. 1.6.0.22 installed and that updated v.1.6.0.23 is available.

It worked before when I removed Java completely so why not now, I wonder?

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Steph,

You may have a registry remnant still in place that FileHippo is seeing. Try launching Base, which needs Java to run. Does it start or ask you to install Java. Alternatively, open the Help file (F1) and try using the Search function, which also needs Java.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

Hi Arraknid, thanks for replying.

I couldn't find anything called Base in Oo (unless it's the same thing as Database?) but using the Search function worked so it was still there. Re-reading the article about removing Java though and your comments then, I thought the best thing to do would be to update to the latest version of JRE and then remove it via Add/Remove and then run JavaRa to remove old versions. Seems to have worked, as FileHippo is no longer picking it up.

Is it possible to install / update OpenOffice without installing Java or are you stuck with downloading Java too and then having to remove it?

Thanks
    Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Steph,

You could have also gone to My Computer > Local Disk C: > Program Files > and look for a folder named Java. Also look for a folder named JRE. Right click and delete it.

(momentary pause to check my XP).....

Ok.......I just did this on my XP Pro machine. JRE was deleted in normal mode, yet I had to enter Safe Mode to delete the Java folder from path given above while in Safe Mode.

As for installing OpenOffice without Java. OpenOffice is owned by Oracle Corporation. Java was a product owned by Sun Microsystems,Inc. then the Oracle Corporation acquired the Sun Microsystems,Inc. on January 27th,2010.

Read below:
    Java is required for complete OpenOffice.org functionality. Java is mainly required for the HSQLDB database engine (used by our database product Base) and to make use of accessibility and assistive technologies. Furthermore some wizards rely on Java technology.If you do not require these features, then you do not need to have Java installed for running OpenOffice.org.
    Found here--> http://download.openoffice.org/common/java.html

Looks like you have to install OpenOffice then uninstall Java! Curious to hear what arraknid has to say about this.

Last edited by DonnaB; 02-15-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Hi Donna, thanks for posting again.

After I ran JavaRa the second and third times the logfile was empty, there were no entries at all and yet FileHippo was still picking up JRE so I think arraknid was right about the registry entries. He has said before (in the Java article) that he runs Oo without Java quite happily but I was wondering if it was possible to download Oo updates or install it without having to download Java in the first place.

Looks like the mistake I made was cancelling the JRE installation during the update process - I should have let it install fully and then removed it, as from what you noted in your post it does look like this is the only way if you don't want Java, although it's certainly a bit of a faff.

Steph

PS Just discovered there is apparently a tick box "Include the Java JRE with this download" option you can untick but I never saw it - it must be well hidden!

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

As posted by Steph:
    Looks like the mistake I made was cancelling the JRE installation during the update process - I should have let it install fully and then removed it,
    Many future viewers of this thread will benefit from that observation.

I was wondering if it was possible to download Oo updates or install it without having to download Java in the first place.
    Below is a link where that may be possible. Open Office is one of the programs/apps. that is offered in the list. I was going to download OpenOffice from the link onto my XP just to see. I did start the download and it did go straight to downloading OpenOffice after clicking the desktop setup icon. No other clicks necessary. But the download is so large and we are monitored for usage by our ISP Provider so I canceled the download.

Install multiple apps at once without toolbars or clicking Next

If you notice (and have really good eye sight) it does say that JRE is recommended. But it's not included. I wonder myself if JRE would be included in an update for OO?

PS Just discovered there is apparently a tick box "Include the Java JRE with this download" option you can untick but I never saw it - it must be well hidden!
    That had to be included in a long list of options to choose from upon installation, or I believe you would have seen it. Otherwords, don't blink or you'll miss it! Sneaky little devils aren't they?

Donna

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I clean installed OO about a month ago, but chose the Custom install option which allowed me to remove the bits I didn't need, like Base and Calc, and when I was informed that I needed to install JRE to make the wizards work, I declined and it wasn't installed, but the rest were. I'm not sure if there's the option not to install JRE in the Custom menu.

As far as the updates are concerned, I rarely download them, working on the basis that if it ain't broke, etc, etc. When I need to, I prefer to uninstall the old and reinstall the latest version - but that's not often!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

As far as the updates are concerned, I rarely download them, working on the basis that if it ain't broke, etc, etc. When I need to, I prefer to uninstall the old and reinstall the latest version - but that's not often!
    Hi Arraknid, that sounds like a good path to follow, I think I'll do the same from now on and do a custom install next time too. Thanks as always

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11