Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gateway DX4300-15e

Alright so, purchased this desktop around tax time 2010 from BestBuy, and purchased a 23" widescreen Samsung 1080p HD monitor to go with it from TigerDirect.com, computer has worked great since first startup, but a day or so ago it just randomly sort of shut down on me, my monitor went black and the signal ican in the top corner kept switching from Digital to Analog, back and forth, and it then went totally black after about a minute, and my tower will not turn off with the power button, nor can i restart it, i have to manually unplug it from the wall and plug it back up to get it to reboot, has anyone had an issue like this?

The fans on this thing are so quiet you can barely tell they are even spinning, I have used airduster to make sure dust isnt bogging anything down, and it still does it..need help bad, this is my only computer at this time, am looking into a small laptop or netbook just for a backup.

AgentT,

randomly sort of shut down on me
    Not much to go on there. Can only take an educated guess. My guess is some sort of power supply issue, that's also indicated by the power on / off switch problem you're experiencing.

The link below contains others having similar issues with that product #

Gateway DX4300 - Power-Supplies-PC-Cases-Case-Mods - CPU-Components

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    AgentT,

Not much to go on there. Can only take an educated guess. My guess is some sort of power supply issue, that's also indicated by the power on / off switch problem you're experiencing.

The link below contains others having similar issues with that product #

Gateway DX4300 - Power-Supplies-PC-Cases-Case-Mods - CPU-Components
    sorry, thats really the only way i can describe it, thats exactly whats happening, though when i said sort of shuts down, i guess i should have been a little more descriptive, by that i meant that when my screen goes black, the tower still acts as though it is on and running, LED ring around my power button stays lit

No need to be sorry.

That's the problem with this type of issue it's not black an white and it gives you / us little clue what's really happening. That was a good idea you had cleaning out the machine like that. A power supply can fail or worse become erratic in operation. Just because the fans are running and the blue light is on does not rule out a power supply issue at all. From your description and a good one at that, random shut down, power supply switch issues, and others having similar issues as you in the link I gave above, tell me the first thing to think about is replacing the power supply, with maybe a bigger one then that unit came with 300 watts from what I see. I would strongly consider power supply first as the issue, as I said it's an educated guess on the symptoms / description you provided. You really can't test the supply the way a shop would it needs to be tested under load and running, voltage and current tests should be done that's usually difficult for the home user to perform or know how to do without causing more issues.

No need to be sorry.

That's the problem with this type of issue it's not black an white and it gives you / us little clue what's really happening. That was a good idea you had cleaning out the machine like that. A power supply can fail or worse become erratic in operation. Just because the fans are running and the blue light is on does not rule out a power supply issue at all. From your description and a good one at that, random shut down, power supply switch issues, and others having similar issues as you in the link I gave above, tell me the first thing to think about is replacing the power supply, with maybe a bigger one then that unit came with 300 watts from what I see. I would strongly consider power supply first as the issue, as I said it's an educated guess on the symptoms / description you provided. You really can't test the supply the way a shop would it needs to be tested under load and running, voltage and current tests should be done that's usually difficult for the home user to perform or know how to do without causing more issues.
    i have thought about upgrading to a 450-500watt PSU and im really wanting an ATi Radeon 5000 series gpu, when i get the money i think ill give it a try

When I get the money, I'm gonna try a lot of stuff too

Good luck, I hope I was somewhat helpful to you.

zep516

For now I'd just leave it run, powering down by un-plugging is not recommend and could cause file corruption.

When I get the money, I'm gonna try a lot of stuff too

Good luck, I hope I was somewhat helpful to you.

zep516

For now I'd just leave it run, powering down by un-plugging is not recommend and could cause file corruption.
    yeah, thing is, unless i do that, i cant use it at all, i guess next time it happens all just leave it running and see if it ever recovers on its own, other wise unplugging it is the only way to "reboot" it lol

Why don't you run a malware scan on it just to check for malware too, see link below use the free version, I really don't think anything here is malware related though.

Malwarebytes

Also if that's windows 7, you can boot to the windows advanced options menu, you will need to do the plug thing to reboot. When you replug it in back in keep hitting the F8 Key to boot into the windows advanced options menu, black screen with white letters. Once there use the arrow key to select "Repair My Computer" and hit enter on keyboard. Let it do it's thing. That would correct any file issues possibly.

I'll check back tomorrow.. Late now...

Ok, new development... my computer just did the "sleep mode" thing again, but I let it sit while i had breakfast, and it eventually came back on by itself (about 10-15 minutes, maybe less), sooo...not sure if that opens any more doors for causes/solutions, i talked to another slightly more tech savvy buddy and he seems to agree on the PSU either being crap build or maybe being worn, either way, i've been looking at some higher wattage units, im liking the Antec Basiq Plus 550watt, newegg.com has it for $64.99, so we'll see.

Hi AgentT,

Another idea is to review your power options, in the control panel. Go to Start > Control Panel > Power Options. Left hand column you have options there, such as change when the computer sleeps Left click on that and set it to never. Sleep mode and hibernate mode can and do cause issues. I have mine set to high performance and in that category, sleep mode set to never and display set to never. Just something to consider.

Don't know much about that power supply. You could Google Antec Basiq Plus 550watt an add the word review just to see what other users have said about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast