Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default O/S must be reloaded every time the CPU is turned off.

New here and very novice to computers, so please bear with me.
    I have an Acer x1700 desktop that is giving me fits. I had to replace the power supply. Worked fine after that. As I was reloading a few programs it crashed. I loaded System Mechanic, fireFox and a web cam. Wound up finally getting it to boot up with a restore disk. As long as I don't turn off the computer all is fine. When it is turned off everything is lost and it will not boot up. I then have to reload everything from the restore disk. I know it's vague, but any help on how to get it to hold the settings would be great

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Hi zukinagain,

What was wrong with the computer originally that caused you to replace the power supply?

reloading a few programs it crashed
    What error codes did you get when you say crash? Can you explain a little more?

I would avoid using System Mechanic for now or anytime for that matter. Did you pay for that? Strongly advise not using these type of programs as they can cause more issues then they resolve.

When you power down and try to restart the computer, what exactly occurs at boot up, any error messages? Do you at least here the fans start up? Any beeptones?

What operating System are you using from the restore disk? Where is the restore from? Is it the original restore disk that came with the Acer?

Sorry for all the questions, but it will help me and others to help you better.

zep516
    Thanks for the reply. The original PS burned out. Something on the cicuitboard caused the fan to not get power and thus fried itself. When I replaced it everything was fine until I loaded thos prograns. I'm 99% positive it was one of those that somehow messed with the O/S,HD or partition. Keep in mind I'm still learning about this stuff so the actual terminology may not be correct.
    Yes we bought the System Mechanic thinking it was a good tool. Maybe not.
    When it powers down and I restat I get the one beep. Acer manual say that means all hardware it good. (?) All the fans run and hard drive light flickers. After the initial screen I get an error code 0xc000000e the boot selection failed. So I guess crash isn't the word I should use. The only way I can get it to boot is by changing the boot drive to CD and using the restore disk.
    The restore is NOT the original, but one from a new computer with Windows7. Original was Vista. Before using these disks I was able to get into the original restore partition and did a full system restore. But when it tried to boot up I got the same error code. When I use the disks and boot up everything works perfectly, unless I power off then have to reboot/reload using the disks and start all over. Nothing gets saved.
    I hope this all makes sense to someone.
    Thank you again

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click next
    3. Click "repair your computer."

See if you can do that. Sounds like Master boot record got corrupted but I'm not a 100% sure. You can also google FIXMBR.

When I use the disks and boot up everything works perfectly
    When it's working you can also click start > In the search option type CMD open the CMD (Command Prompt) and type FIXMBR hit enter on keyboard.

I don't see an option for choose language setting on reload.
    Tried the FIXMBR and got this:
    C:\Users\dad>FIXMBR
    'FIXMBR' is not recognized as an internal or external command' operable program or batch file.

On searching the not recognized problem I ran across a thread that suggests editing the system variable. I have not done this because I really don't know what it's supposed to be. Here is a copy of how it is set now.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared

We might want to search for this,

error code 0xc000000e
    I'm going to see what my co-forum members say first before offering any more advice on this...

OK I've read many of the search results on my error code and boot problem. I'm in way over my head. I think about a week of reading and trying to understand what is posted should get me more familiar with what I need to do.
    Thanks to zep516 for trying to help me. I'll repost when I'm a little more saavy. I hope.

I am over my head too, to much has been done for me to try and sort it all out. My last thought is take it in and have at least the operating system reinstalled and see where you stand after that. Please by all means use us again for help..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

A really silly question, but a common mistake:

Have you removed the disk from the optical drive before you reboot?

If you have done that, it sounds to me like you have set the boot sequence to boot from the CD (which is correct) but not entered the Hard Disk as a secondary boot device in the BIOS.

Do you know how to do this? or do you need instructions?

Let us know!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast