Default Win7 Homegroup deleted resulting in catch 22 no network without homegroup & viceversa

Whoa is me. I thought I was not using the homegroup and had no desire to so I deleted the pesky thing and now no internet access. I thought I just deleted the icon but apparently killed the whole deal. Now, I can't seem to recreate a homegroup without first having a network. When I try to create a new network, it says I must have a homegroup first. Every want to just pull your hair out or kick yourself for being so stupid. Obviously, I should not have deleted that icon but who would have guessed the trouble it would cause. BTW, I found the link still in the recycle bin and restored it but to no avail. I then connected my htc android by cable and am connected with it now. I see a homegroup but my normal wifi connection will still not show up as available.

Ken

Hi BushPilot,

Welcome to Help2Go!

Have you checked services.msc just to make sure the service is started.

See this link to guide you further.

How To Disable or Enable the Homegroup Feature in Windows 7 - How-To Geek

Also, here's another link that may help you. Focus on #4 and do the opposite to turn the service back on.

How to Disable “HomeGroup” Feature in Windows 7? - Tweaking with Vishal

Other members will be able to assist if I'm not on the right track here.

Please keep us informed to your progress!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Wink Fixed!

Everything was turned on....

I do thank you for your help and I do have it working again.

I feel like an idiot since I have been into computers since the early 80's and never encountered this before but the problem was simple. The F12 key on this laptop turns on wireless services...... it was off, despite all the wlan services showing on.... I had no idea it could be turned on and off with the keyboard.

Sorry for all the trouble. I hope this helps some others though.

Thanks again.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I'm sorry, too! But I had to laugh! I thought that I was the only one that did that sort of thing. Trust me! It happens to the best of us! I have keys that I have no idea what their function is.

And it was a pleasure to help what little I did. I'm quite sure your response will help others as well. We don't always look for the obvious first.

Anytime that you need us, we're here for you!

Have a great day!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"