Unhappy Can't uninstall service pack 1 Vista

I`m helping a friend of mine uninstall his service pack 1 for his vista 32-bit. We've looked at a couple of websites with tutorials, but non of them seem to work. The most common one, going to add/remove programs and looking for the service pack under the installed updates tab, didn't work because we couldn't find the service pack listed. We even tried scanning the entire computer to see if the service pack was installed anywhere but it appeared not.

We know that he has a service pack because once we goto control panel - system, it states Service Pack 1.

Anyone know how to make it appear?

Hi LilyBear,

Welcome to Help2Go!

Let's see what SP (Service Pack) is installed. Click on the Start orb. Then in the list on the right hand side of the Start Menu right click on Computer and choose Properties at the bottom of the list. That will open a window that will have the latest SP that is installed on the computer.

If I may ask, why are you trying to uninstall SP1? Vista is presently running at SP2.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

It currently says Service Pack 1. He previously had Service pack 2, and after uninstalling that one it rolled back to the previous one that the computer had (service pack 1).
    We're both gamers, and in order to play some games it requires you to not have any service packs on your computer, soo we decided to uninstall them both in order to run those games.

What game? I'm sorry but I've never heard of that.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

It's a game called Audition.

Ok, thanks for the info. Let me look into this.

Where did you hear/see that you had to uninstall the Service Packs in order to play Audition? You realize how vulnerable you are leaving yourself right?

Back shortly.

Lily? Are you uninstalling the SP's to gain Hard drive space? If this is the case, I'm sorry, but we are here to educate those on how to keep their computers running in an up to date state and not to leave their systems vulnerable.

Aren't you able to find other programs/personal data/files that are less important to your operating system that you can uninstall to free up HD space?

I'm sorry, I can't help you uninstall SP1 for that reason.

Donna

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If SP 1 was installed when you bought the PC you may not be able to uninstall. Try using the Compatibility mode see Using Windows 7 or Vista Compatibility Mode - How-To Geek . To see all programs including operating system updates and SPs, in the Add/Remove make sure the box at the top 'show updates' is checked. I echo Donna's advice to not delete any SPs .. I'd certainly like to see the specs on the game; as advising people to uninstall SPs is not the way to go.

I've checked out adobe Audition http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/systemreqs/ and since they say it's compatible with the new Win 7 as well as Vista and XP you should keep SP 2 installed as there is nothing saying it should be removed. I'm taking a guess here, but I suspect the program you're using has either been installed incorrectly or it's a pirated copy (which if so, may contain malware).
    Last edited by Canuck; 03-14-2011 at 01:59 PM.