Default Cannot get Netbeui protocol working on Lenovo 0768-A52 with a Broadcom 802.1g

I'm running XP Pro Sp3 on a Lenovo 0768-A52, a variant of a 3000 N100. This is my backup Laptop. My other Laptop is a Lenovo 0768-05U, also a 3000 N100. I've installed the Netbeui protocol on both computers in the same way. Both computers are identically configured (except for some minor differences too complex to discuss right now).

Windows workgroups using Netbeui work on the 05U but not the A52. The 05U has an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card. The A52 has a Broadcom 802.11g Wireless Adapter. I think the wireless adapter is the problem. So my real question is whether or not anybody out there has ever had Netbeui running using this card. And I don't mean Netbeui over TCP/IP.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Just curious...the only time I used Netbui was on old Win98 machines ...connected by phone line ...computer to computer directly

Do you have phone line or broadband as an ISP?

Used it with crossover cables too...long time ago

Check your IPs, see that they are not the same

============================
    I could be wrong but XP does not carry NetBUI anymore
    Last edited by abseh1; 03-14-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Abseh1,

If you check the net you will find instructions for adding Netbeui to XP using drivers included with an XP install disk. Netbeui does not route which makes it very safe for a home network, and it is the only choice if you want to network with a bunch of older machine running antiquated MS operating systems. Yes, computer to computer directly is exactly what I want at home. My motivation is the safety. I just don't trust Netbeui over TCP/Ip. I figure someone is going to figure out how to get to my files.

Blog Entries

You are correct...Netbui is a special download on the WinXP CD

It has been a long time and Netbui can make a minister curse @ times...but it is doable
    I have never used the cards you have...so I can not answer the question...reference Broadcom 802.11g Wireless Adapter

You may have answered your own question and could try a different card
    (Since it is a laptop and probably an onboard maybe a PCMI or USB?)

Forget what I said about the IP addy's
    It does not use the IP system it is not Routable to the Internet.
    But it does need the computer names

Also, you can download the NetBEUI protocol's drivers from here: (as well as the WinXP CD)http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/NetBEUI.zip

Ok..got you they are machines on a closed network

You just want to share a printer or files only

I see you have solved the workgroup problem

What about sharing...you need to allow sharing too

To Install NetBEUI as a sharing protocol in WinXP.

Right-click on the desktop "My Network Places" and click on Properties.
    If you do not have My Network Places on your Desktop.
    Go to Control Panel and double click on Network Connections.

In the Network Properties Window, pull the Advance Menu, and click on advanced settings.

It looks like this: Network Advance.

Choose the Adapters, and Bindings tab.

Hi-lite Local Area Connection.

The lower part of the windows shows you the available Shares and Protocols.

NetBEUI has to be in first position in both settings, to be Default Protocol.

You make it first by Hi-lite NetBEUI, and move it up using the Arrow on the right side.

You can leave TCP/IP bound to the File sharing or Uncheck it.

It should look like this: Binding in WinXP

Note: If you have Wireless connected computers on your Network bind both TCP/IP and NetBEUI to File Sharing, some modes of propriety Wireless might be quirky with NetBEUI.

Best I can do...without knowing the network info...router... modem....cables etc
    You could call the router or hub company or your ISP...definitely a hands on for me
    good luck ...abs
    Last edited by abseh1; 03-14-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added text

Abseh1

Thanks for the website reference.

As for the rest of the pointers, it's all been done. Which is why I can't think of any reason but the card for this thing to not be working. Unless I'm missing something it's not all that unusual. I have a Linksys wireless router that won't propagate Netbeui through wireless connections. I have to use my Netgear wireless router for wireless Netbeui connections. What P's me off is that none of these deficiencies are ever documented.

Blog Entries

AnnoyedAtMS

Yea..I understand...unfortunately, Netbui is a dying technology as are most, including WinXP

I always ran Netbui with hard wire (cables) it actually works best on older computers with DOS architecture, as oppose to NTFS

WinXP is very old too....but should last for a long time on a closed network

Actually....I would prefer Win98SE (emphasis on SE) on a closed Netbui network with hard cables

I realize you want wireless

BTW: I get your point in your call sign....AnnoyedAtMS
    MS is pretty incerdible...the way it still runs with all the different continuum of end-users

I know people who are still using DOS and Win98....a friend runs his complete Florida Resort Motel booking and Tax accounting on a very old DOS program....if he gets a power failure, no problem he just boots up when the power comes back...no problem and no errors...heck, you can pull the power plug to shut it down (Because there is not a registry to cause problems)
    His system is Netbui with a two Win98 systems and one DOS...you can actually run the DOS program in a Win98 window and get a GUI panel and use a mouse
    Of course he has a newer Win7 computer that he uses to access the INTERNET

Again good luck...abs

Default Problem Solved

I ordered and installed an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card, removing the Broadcom 802.11g Wireless Adapter. Now my Microsoft Workgroup using Netbeui is working.

It's possible that the implied deletion and installation of the network card solved the problem (rather than the hardware substitution) but I doubt it. So my conclusion is if you want Netbeui to work on a wireless LAN doen't use a Broadcom wireless adapter. See thread for more details.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update and feedback...abs