Default cdn.insights.gravity.com

I notice that SuperAnti Spyware always finds this and it keeps coming back. Is it anything to worry about? I'm not haveing any real problems. The only thing I do find is that when I use IE8, it leys me use a couple of tabs but any further tabs won't work. The previous tabs continue to work though. Other than that though, everything seems OK

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Insights is an analytical service designed to help forum administrators understand their content and users and make their sites better
    I gather that it may be an add-on .. in IE Tools > Manage Add-Ons > in there you should be able to highlight Insights and click Disable. It has been reported that it can slow down internet speed, but it also has advantages in moving around sites that use the program (at least that's what I've managed to figure out). Other members of this forum may have additional info, so stay tuned.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Further to the above, DonnaB who is a great researcher came up with this
    jholland1964
    06-29-2010, 10:48 AM

I ran SuperAntispyware and dang if it didn't show up again!! Your attachment looks just like yours blocking the 3rd party cookies. Hummm

I still can't block that site. I have no idea what to do now.
    Ok Julie, in looking more closely at your "tracking cookie" it appears to me that it is NOT actually a tracking cookie in the strictest sense. It is a flash player shared object. According to Adobe here is what a flash player shared object is and look at the KEY info I have put in bold font:
    A local shared object, sometimes referred to as a "Flash cookie," is a data file that can be created on your computer by the sites that you visit. Shared objects are most often used to enhance your web-browsing experience, for example, by allowing you to personalize the look and feel of a website that you frequently visit. Shared objects, by themselves, can't do anything to or with the data on your computer. More important, shared objects can never access or remember your e-mail address or other personal information unless you willingly provide such informationA local shared object can be read only by the website domain that created the object.

Now this one in particular is from cdn.insights.gravity.com
    What is this? Here is what I have found;
    cdn refers to a content delivery network. Simply put, it is a series of servers placed around that this uses to help speed up whatever it is you are doing rather than everybody using the same network which makes things go much slower.

insights.gravity (Gravity Insights | Home) is the actual company which is placing this "cookie" to assist the website you are visiting. What this does, for Farmville or whatever game you may be using, it is collecting web traffic information like pageviews, unique visitors (new visitors, long time visitors, one time visitors), how long a visitor is there, what the visitor does there, how often the visitor comes there, etc. It does NOT take individual personal information from you. This is really information for that particular website to use to enhance use of their website.

You HAVE blocked 3rd party tracking COOKIES, which is the main thing you want to do because these DO track personal info and what you, as an individual like and do online and those WILL have personal info connected to them so that you may see ads from a site that I won't see when visiting a site. Since this specific one is not really a tracking cookie in the strictest sense of the word, my feeling anyway, is choose to ignore this one. It is used only by that website. It sends no information anywhere else. So I just don't feel it is a real problem.

Each scanner like SUPERAntispyware or SpyBot is configured slightly differently. What one may find, another may not. None of them can possibly be set up exactly the same. They are set to scan for specific "earmarks" I guess you would say. SAS says this meets its own criteria for a tracking cookie, because it IS tracking but it just really isn't tracking YOU personally...Julie...it is tracking you as a general user of the website to give that website info on its own visitors. This way they can tailor their site for the specific types of users they have. I just wouldn't worry about it. If you can configure SAS to ignore it then I would if I were you and then forget it.
    a quote from Tracking cookie [Archive] - WorldStart Message Boards

Thanks DonnaB

Thanks DonnaB
    You're welcome Canuck! And thank you for moving the thread.

Hi MickKnipfler,

Please read the quote in Canuck's post above thoroughly.

Then, a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Does your "tweenager" use this computer? And does he/she/anyone in the family frequent Facebook and play the games?

If you'd like to post the SASW (SuperAntiSpyware) log that you found that entry in I'd be happy to look at it closer for you.

To find the logs, just open up SASW Program and click on the Preferences button in the right hand column of the dialogue window that's found under Configuration and Preferences then click on Statistics/Logs tab at the top of the next dialogue window. You'll find the logs there.

We could also look into why you are limited to accessing tabs in IE8. But we'll need to know which OS (Operating System) is running on the computer in question.

Thank you,

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"