Default HP desktop does not boot up

I cannot get past booting up of operating system. It gets into a loop when loading. This problem developed after a series of smaller ones kept occurring, some resolved with antivirus program (AVG), some persisting. When working computer was fairly slow, in spite of maintenance ( defrag, removing temp files,etc). Computer is 6 to 7 years old, with Windows XP Home Edition, 1 GB hard drive. How can I get it to run again?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to da963 For This Useful Post:

6 to 7 years old, I'd consider reinstalling the software or use recovery disks to restore to factory settings and start fresh that would be my first suggestion. Sounds like you have several issues and may be some malware also.

Try steps below if you can:

Can you boot to the Safe mode?, lets try. Restart the computer during restart keep pressing the F8 Key, the machine hopefully will boot to the Advanced Options Menu black screen with white letters if it does select Safe Mode using the arrow keys. If your successful booting to safe mode, then try a System Restore in safe mode. Click start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System restore. This will attempt to restore the computer to a time when it was working.

Let us know how far you get, and any errors received.