Default Photoshop/Elements Action tool

I am trying to edit a batch of photo's. I found instructions saying i need to use the actions tool but i can't find it. I am using Elements 2 which came free with an old computer. Do i need a later version or is it hidden away somewhere?

I tried this on a friends computer using CS2 and i found the actions tool, but it won't let me do what i want. Basically i have the time and date on a load of photo's in the same place. I want to cover this with an e-mail address which i made in powerpoint (white writing in a black box). I want to load a photo and start the action then place the black box on the photo and stretch it over the time and date then do a batch convert. It lets me place the box on the photo but i can't stretch it. This is the instrucions i was given

First you must create a new action from the actions menu, give it a name and hit the record button. Photoshop will now memorize everything you do in between pressing the record button on and off. I would load my image, press record, then place the e-mail box on the image and stretch it to cover the appropriate area. After I'm finished with all my actions I would hit the record button again to stop recording. Photoshop now knows that every time that action is played it will recreate everything you've done in the recording mode. Remember to give your action a name.
    Now, on to automating the actions via the batch command. From the actions menu select the batch command. It will then show the batch dialogue box. You have little variety here to select from, which is good because it makes things pretty easy. In my case, I just wanted to modify each file then load a new one and continue in a loop. So select a destination folder where all your graphic files are, then select one of the actions to be performed on each file. Select the option (Save and Close). Photoshop will now be automated. You can watch as Photoshop mechanically and quickly goes through all your files while you can sit back and relax. Your boss might be impressed as he wonders how you completed the task so efficiently, while you didn't even break a sweat.
    Last edited by Grezaldo; 03-21-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try this..

How to Use Photoshop Actions in Photoshop Elements

Why use a picture as the source of your 'overprint' when you can do it all in Elements from scratch with the type tool?

I downloaded that link but i can't find it in Elements. I made the e-mail address picture in powerpoint and added a few little extras. I saved it as a .jpg and it took me about two hours to get it just the way i want it so i would really like to use it. When i open a photo in CS2 i can add the e-mail pic and resize it as much as i want but when i use actions i can't resize it at all.

Blog Entries

Try resizing to the required size first, then save at that size. Then Record the action.

A resized .jpg won't give the best results, and may need Sharpening.

I tried that but its difficult to judge the exact size. I'm sure it must be possible to resize it in actions, most photoshop tuition sites say it shouldn't be a problem.

Blog Entries

It is, just that you are having difficulty.

Try explaining exactly what you are doing - step by step!

1. Open a photo from the folder i want to convert
    2. Open the .jpg i made
    3. Make a new action
    4. Press record
    5. Drag the .jpg onto the photo

Thats where it goes wrong. I should be able to stretch it or resize it to cover the area with the time/date but i can't. If i don't use the actions and just drag it onto the photo i don't have this problem.

Blog Entries

OK, try this....

1. Open both photos
    2. Select the email jpg and Select, All
    3. Select Copy (or Ctrl+C) which will place on Clipboard.
    4. Now select the other picture.
    5. Open the Actions Palette (Ctrl + F9) and choose New Action from menu to the top right of the window.
    6. Name it, and start Record
    7. Paste the email jpg onto it, either by using the Paste command, or by using Ctrl+V.
    8. That should create a new layer.
    9. Press V on the keyboard to select the Move tool, ensuring Show Transform Controls is selected.
    10. Move and resize as required. When finished, press the Stop button on Actions Palette.

Now go to Automate, Batch and choose the named action, along with the folder containing images.

Hi Arraknid, Thanks for all your help (not just this time) you must be getting fed up with me. I'm still having a problem with this. I followed the instructions you gave me and everything looked good. But when i got to the batch convert bit it went wrong. I made a new folder and set it as the destination folder and started the conversion. All the photo's came on screen one at a time but nothing happened. They didn't add anything and when it finished the originals were still unchanged and the destination folder was empty.

Blog Entries

The Action will only work when your email pic is held on the clipboard in the current session. Once its closed, the clipboard contents are lost. That's the problem with pasting a picture in an Action, and why I suggested creating the email address in Photoshop. Try loading the pic again and repeating steps 2 & 3 above before running the Action.

Also, try loading a few pics and running the Batch command on Open Files.