Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default F keys not working

None of the function keys on my new laptop are working. I think they are locked but i can't see an unlock key. (The padlock symbol next to F12 puts the computer back to the log in page) Another problem is some links won't click. I tried to add a photo of the keyboard to this post but the manage attachments button won't click, this happens to links in websites too. The coomputer is a Hewlett Packard HP G62-b20sa Laptop PC
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

Hi Grezaldo,

Let's view this issue from the simplistic side first.

To unlock the function keys, press the FN key + the key with the padlock on it. Mine is the Scroll key...not sure if yours is the same.

Also, the F8 key may have a little "Sun" symbol on it that is 1/2 dark...1/2 bright. If so, see if you can press the FN key + the F8 key. That combination should cause your screen to Dim or Brighten. Let me know if that works.

You could also make sure that there are no crumbs or anything that may have gotten lodged under the keys on the keyboard that may have caused this issue. That's happened to me before.

Let us know and we can go from there!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hi Donna

No luck with that. The padlock pressed with anything puts the computer back to the log in page. F8 has two arrows pointing right, like the fast forward on a remote control.

I couldn't help notice you don't have a manual....

Get it from here--> HP G62-B20sa Laptop Manual | Download Manual & User Guide and see if any information in it is helpful to you.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Also, I found that many are having trouble as you are with the keyboard action keys.

See links below:

Keyboard issue for HP G62 - HP Support Forum

The link below is to the HP Support Forum.

HP Support Forum - HP Support Forum
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Zep That link leads to a page that says you have exceeded your daily download limit (i haven't downloaded anything) I found a .pdf but its just technical details

Donna I found pressing fn and F2 together works but still no luck clicking links. I have to right click and copy the shortcut then paste it in the address bar and press enter. I will have a look at the forum and see if i can find someone else with this problem.

Grezaldo,

What happens when you click a link? Does it give any errors or does it just do nothing?

If you are using Internet Explorer, you can try resetting it: Reset Internet Explorer 8 settings

You may also want to try a System Restore to a time before this issue began to see if that will correct both issues. Some settings may have inadvertently been changed.

Also, since the laptop should still be under warranty, take it back to where you purchased it and have them fix it.

Hope this helps.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 03-27-2011 at 02:13 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

No error message. It just does nothing. I'm using IE7. It has always done this so a system restore is not an option. I'm fairly sure its not faulty, just something i'm missing.

You could also try this:

Boot into the bios using F10 key on startup. That is used on most hp laptops then in the bios screen select the option system configuration. Under system configuration you will find something as action mode keys and make it enabled then save the changes and then exit the bios screen.

I've also read that a language setting could possibly cause the issue with the FN keys.

If it's been like this since you bought it, I'd take it back to the store and make them fix the issue.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Grezaldo,

I'd like to clarify something here. Is this laptop a Win7?

I ask because I assumed that the newer Win7's came equipped with IE8.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast