Default Asus Eee won't boot or charge

Asus Eee Pc 4G won't boot or charge.

that's my problem, and here's more info:
    My Eee got stolen and then returned without charger and no juice left in the battery. So I went to a store to get a new one, the one I tried had the poles reversed (negative in middle and positive on the outside). didn't work so got this one:

Laser 90W NOTEBOOK POWER | TECH4U.COM.AU Online Computer Store

didn't help either. no lamp light up when connected or when trying to boot, just using power cord and no battery doesn't make any difference and the charger shows an output of just over 19 volt, when it should be around 9 volt.

did the first charger damage my comp or is something else wrong?
    Help plz!

Rasmus
    Last edited by arraknid; 03-31-2011 at 06:23 AM.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's more than possible. Polarity is very important, and without short-circuit protection, you may have blown the micro components which are vary susceptible. I would never use a universal charger as each laptop has its own requirements, and a universal has too many options. Much better using a generic like this...

Buy.com - HQRP White Netbook AC Adapter / Charger for ASUS Eee PC 4G / 4G Surf Replacement + Mousepad

Hmm, I assumed all new laptops had safety devices against these kind of things. You have any idea of which component probably would break first by reversed polarity and how to check if it is really broken? Im quite handy with these kind of things. (have done some trouble shooting with a pair of broken earphones to determine that there is connection between dc input and output to the battery )

Hi obergswe,

Please see if the link is any help in your troubleshooting,

Troubleshooting Laptop Power Problems

I'm a trained technician I worked on older type boards to component level replacing components, caps, resistors, transistors etc . Problem with today's boards most everything is at the micro component level very difficult to work on without specialized tools. The heat alone form any solder iron may do more damaged then the reversed battery issue that you experienced and cause even more problems.
    Last edited by zep516; 04-05-2011 at 05:28 AM.