Default Computer is at a standstill

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop running Vista 32 bit home edition. The system has been slower recently but is now at a crawl. Any program that I try to start takes literally 5-10 minutes to open. The only thing that I've changed lately is to run microsoft fix it and disable some codecs so that Roxio Creator can burn a dvd.

it is affecting ALL my programs. I ran Trend Micro security and it found no viruses. If I want to access a file quickly I have to boot into safe mode. What can I do to regain control of my pc without having to reformat the hard drive?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi holland1994,

Welcome to Help2Go!

What AV was installed on your computer prior to installing Trend Micro Security? Usually Norton or McAfee is installed on the computer when purchased. How were they uninstalled?

Try disabling Trend Micro Security and see if your programs open faster.

Is the computer also booting up slowly or is it just while trying to open programs?

Could you please provide the model # for your Dell Inspiron?

Let us know and we'll go from there.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

It is a Dell Inspiron 530. It has a 2.4 ghz core 2 quad processor with 2 gig of ram.

Trend micro seems to be disabling itself. The system still creeps along even with this disabled. I selected start>explore and it took a couple of minutes for the window to open and populate.

Let's take a closer look:

Download HijackThis from here -->http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...HJTInstall.exe to the Desktop.

Double-click on HJTInstall.
    Click on the Install button.
    It will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe.
    Upon install, HijackThis should open for you.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button
    HijackThis will scan and then a log will open in notepad.
    Copy and then paste the entire contents of the log in your post.
    Do not have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

i cannot get it to install.

holland1994,

Try it in Safe Mode.

You could try to right click on the HjT icon and choose Run as Administrator as well.

Let me know.

Sounds like you may be infected. If that is the case we will guide you to post a new topic in the Spyware Help forum.

it will not work in safe mode either.

Ok holland,

Please go to Help2Go Forums - How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer and follow the steps accordingly.

While working through the instructions, please save the following logs to post in a new topic in the Spyware Help forum.

Please, DO NOT post the logs here in the Computer Help Forum.

- SUPERAntiSpyware log
    - Malwarebytes log
    - HijackThis log

If any of the scans will not run, just move on to the next step. If none of the scans can be performed, just start a new thread in the Spyware Help Forum and our experts will guide you from there.

Please be patient. Our experts are very busy at this time but will be with you as soon as they can.

PS: If you continue to run into problems getting things to run, you can always download Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes.org onto a good computer and once the setup.exe file is on the desktop drag the setup.exe file to a flash drive and insert it into the bad computer and double click that file that you dragged to the desktop of the bad computer. Sometimes this will clear out enough "junk" to help other scans proceed as needed.