Default window xp fails to start up

Ok, here the issue: My Dell latitude 110l laptop will not start windows xp due to the following error C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt. I have tried to do the recovery console and still nothing. I have tried to repair it by booting form the cd as well as trying to restore from a restore point. i can get all the way to the point were i should be able to choose a restore point and it shows that there are two fils but i can not get them to open and still can't get on my computer. These are the step i took

C:\Windows>CD C:\system~1\_resto~1

C:\system~1\_resto~1\>dir

Is there anything else that i may be able to do or do i have to reinstall or use the recovery disk?

Hi jcskish,

Welcome to Help2Go!

See if the following link will help in any way. Please note:

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair. Do NOT use an OEM "Recovery Disc". Only a valid Windows XP media will work or a disc from the OEM that says "Operating System" may sometimes work depending on how the manufacturer labeled the CD.
    Keep us informed to your progress.

Help2Go Forums - C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"