Thread: No Shut Down

Default No Shut Down

I have a compaq pentium about 10 years old. I run XP pro.

Lately (maybe for a month) when I try to shut down or restart, I get to the point that "Windows is shutting down" comes up on the screen and then just stays there. Of course I can hit the power button and I can repower and get back to running. I hate to power off so often. Is there any way to find out what the problem is. I have ran check disk and found some problem(s). I still have the problem. I've found nothing on the sysevent log that I identified as the problem. It may be there and I just don't know how to find it. Is there any way to get a handle on the problem?
    Thanks for being here and thanks in advance.

Hi Arbfarkle,

Have a look at this thread concerning WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN & RESTART TROUBLESHOOTING. Especially focus your attention to the section that is titled SHUTDOWN HANGS ON ôSAVING YOUR SETTINGS. There is a link within that paragraph that will lead you to the following link:

Windows stops responding during Windows XP shut down

Let us know if that sheds any light on the issue. I'm quite sure one of the other members may have some advice as well so please stay tuned.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Kinda, sorta, similar to my problem. I am running SP-3 and have been for a long time. This problem just popped up recently. I had a problem with my disk space. But that seems to have gone away after numerous disk cleans and defrags. I don't see how that would have anything to do with this. I could (I guess) check for drivers, but these were working for a long time. I haven't went to BIOS in a very long time. I wouldn't know what to look for if I could remember how to get there.

It works now. I just have to wait a little longer than I used to have to.

Blog Entries

Disable Programs Running at Startup

You may wonder why I am mentioning start-up programs...but most fast boots are determined by a good shutdown...so cleaning up the start-up programs will allow a quicker shutdown and, as a bonus allow a faster boot-up too
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

As posted by Arbfarkle:
    I have ran check disk and found some problem(s)
    In addition to abseh1's advice, if this is the original HD that is on this 10 year old computer, it wouldn't hurt to go to the manufacturer's site for the HD and run a test on it there too!

If there is anything of importance on this computer that you just can't live without, please back it up if you haven't already. Even if the HD isn't ready to die just yet at least you'll be prepared when and if it does.

If you have questions or concerns about which entries/programs to disable at Startup we'd be more than happy to help guide you! Just ask!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"