Thread: Noisy fan

Unhappy Noisy fan

Hi Donna and All,Just calling to let you know that i have beenable to make recovery cds, but i have another problem with this new base unit which is the fan is very loud and when i put the computer in standby the fan continues making a noise and does`nt stop at ant time in standby is this normal now as on my old computer the fan would come on/off at times and not continuous as with this one could you advise me please.the computer is a new custom white box dual core with windows xp pro loaded. kind regards jim

Hi jimlee38,

The desktop computers usually have 3 or more fans located inside, a processor fan, a power supply fan, and a case fan. The processor fan may vary in speed according to processor demand. The more demand on the processor the more heat generated so some fans may spin faster to remove heat, some fans may spin at the same speed all the time depending on motherboard / fan design. If you're willing I would consider taking the side panel off the computer box and take a close visual inspection so as to identify exactly which fan is making the noise and check for any obstruction, sometimes a cable can get in the way and hit the edge of the fan and really get loud. Let us know if you see anything. It's always possible a new fan could have gone bad too and you're hearing the bearing louder then it should be....
    Last edited by zep516; 04-18-2011 at 12:33 PM.

If your ears cannot pinpoint which fan, touch the center hub of each fan momentarily. This will alter the speed of the fan and therefore the noise. If the bad fan, the change in noise will be apparent. Make sure you touch bare metal of the case just before reaching in to discharge any static in your body. I also recommend taking the opportunity to clean the interior of heat trapping dust. Unplug from the wall, and touch bare metal before doing this too.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────