Unhappy my mouse has a mind of its own

Please help me, I do artwork on my computer . I draw and paint by mouse. My mouse is driving me mad. While I am drawing or painting it just takes off in any un predictable direction ruining my drawing or painting. Thank God for the edit buttons but this game of editing the gross un wanted line that goes all the way across or up or right or left through the middle of the drawing,re drawing and re editing is very painstaking and frustratating. I have tried cleaning the mouse and pad and bought a new mouse same problem. What causes this un wanted glitch and how can I stop it? the mice are USB with cords"Dell". Is there another brand reccomended for artwork?

Hi nepolyanna,

Welcome to Help2Go!

That is an odd problem? What OS is installed? That will help to give more specific instructions if needed.

Have you tried another USB port?

Not sure if this will help but go to your device manager and click on Mice and other pointing devices and then choose properties. Then click on the Driver tab and update the driver. Let us know if that helps.

Another member may have advice as well if my suggestion doesn't work so stay tuned.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Just a quick thought...

If it's a Laser based mouse, have you tried changing the surface you have it on?

A particularly smooth and featureless surface (like a polished computer desk) can have the effect you're experiencing, because the laser cannot tell it's moving position.

A sheet of plain white A4 paper solved this for me.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Thanks everyone for the help. It was the plain white paper which did the trick. I guess I do not really care about the logistics of how and why this happens, I am just relieved to have a remedy for now. Thanks again Mr. Darn
    Nepolyanna

You're welcome.

I also found tuning the Mouse sensitivity under the mouse properties in DonnaB's advice also helped.

Time to invest in a new mousemat!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Good job MrDarn!

Looking into this further, I found that my mouse is Optical and the difference between Optical and Laser it that the Laser mice allow for higher DPI (dots-per-inch) than Optical mice. DPI is what allows for precise scanning of mouse movement.

Laser mice typically operate at 2000 DPI while Optical mice generally operate at 400-800 DPI.

Normal mouse function can be achieved even with the low-end of the DPI spectrum (400 DPI). Only pro gamers or computer artists will be able to benefit from the extreme sensitivities provided by laser mouse tracking.

Laser Mouse vs Optical Mouse

Very interesting I might add!
    Last edited by DonnaB; 04-26-2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: add link
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post: