Default Updare SuperAnti Spyware in Windows 7

I keep getting told that there is an update available but if I try to download it, I get told that I need to do it from an account with admin privilages. How do I do that please?

Blog Entries

Here are instructions on how to check if your account has Administrator Privileges:
    1. Click the Start button, then right-click on Computer and select Manage.
    2. In the Window that opens, please click on the Triangle button beside Local Users and Groups to expand it.
    3. Left-Click on the Groups folder, then double-left-click on Administrators.
    Your profile and/or guest accounts should appear in the 'Members' box. If it does not, you will need to give administrator privileges to each user account.

How to give Administrator Privileges to a user account:

1. Click on the Start menu and select Control Panel.
    2. Click on the User Accounts icon. If you do not see a User Accounts icon please click on “classic view” along the left hand side, then you should see it.
    3. From the User Accounts window please click Manage User Accounts, or Change Account Type.
    4. Select your account and click on Properties.
    5. In the Window that pops up go to the Group Membership tab, and make sure the box next to the Administrator option is selected.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Are they the correct instructions for windows 7? I don't have the features they refer to but in control panel, my account is showing admin status

Blog Entries

Why use a standard user account instead of an administrator account?
    (mainly for safety)

The standard account can help protect your computer by preventing users from making changes that affect everyone who uses the computer, such as deleting files that are required for the computer to work. We recommend creating a standard account for each user.
    When you are logged on to Windows with a standard account, you can do almost anything that you can do with an administrator account, but if you want to do something that affects other users of the computer, such as installing software or changing security settings, Windows might ask you to provide a password for an administrator account.

NOTE:
    Standard accounts are good for multi user computers for safety..IE Children..users whom are not too computer savvy etc...it is safer...but you always need an account with admin privileges too

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MickKnipfler View Post
    Are they the correct instructions for windows 7? I don't have the features they refer to but in control panel, my account is showing admin status
    Yes, they are for windows 7...try logging off and logging on in admin

OK thanks but that doesn't explain why I appear to have admin status but can't update SuperAntiSpyware? After I have done that, maybe best to change back to standard account. There is only one account on this lappy

Blog Entries

Yes and @ least one needs to be admin....do you boot straight up or to a log on panel?

Blog Entries

1.Log out and reboot your machine.
    2.When the machine starts the reboot sequence, press the F8 key repeatedly.
    3.Select Safe Mode from the resulting menu.
    4.The machine will continue booting, but the Windows desktop will look different. You won't be able to see the Internet, for instance. Log in as Administrator. Administrator often has no password.
    5.When you're finished, log out and reboot back into normal mode.

Update and run them all regularly.

Good luck.

Hi MickKnipfler and Abseh1,

For Windows 7 32bit and 64bit to upgrade to the newer version of SAS (which I think the pop up is requesting you to do) this is what you must do:

First you must be logged in on an Administrator account first. (meaning the account you are most likely using that has Admin. status)
    • Right click on the yellow/black bug symbol and choose Exit to close the program if it is open.
    • Once it closes, go to the desktop Superantispyware Icon and Right click then choose Run as an Administrator from the list.
    • It will look like the program will open but it will not. What you will see is the yellow/black bug symbol come back and you will now see the white and blue box to do the upgrade.
    • Now you should be able to click on Download the upgrade and then follow the instructions to upgrade.

This issue seems to have started after the prior upgrade and it happens in Vista as well as windows 7.

As posted by MickKnipfler:
    There is only one account on this lappy
    You may have a Guest acct. that is hidden.

Go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts
    • If you see only one acct., look for and click on Manage another account from the list under Make changes to your user accounts
    • If a Guest acct. appears click on the guest account and then click on the Turn On button.
    • Reboot the computer. How many accts. show up on the login screen now?

Let us know.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Thanks. I did it in safe mode with networking