Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post intermittent beep sound

hi there,
    I'm using a laptop with Intel(R) Core(TM)i5 CPU M520@2.4GHz. Lately it created an irritating beep sound. I tried the best I could to stop it using previously recommended solutions, such as (i) Using Registry to turn off CPU beeps (ii) Using device manager to disable the Non-Plug and Play Driver, i.e. Beep (iii) to disable it in sounds panel. Nonetheless, none of these gave me a solution. It kept on beeping intermittently. Please do you have any solution before it makes me crazy?
    Thanks in advance

The beep obviously refers to something wong, so masking the beep won't solve anything, except the beep.

Try looking in the Device Manager, and see if anything is having problems.

You'll know, because the entry will be expanded and should have some sort of icon beside it.

Let us know!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

hi MrDarn,
    thanks for your prompt reply. I tried to check if there is anything wrong in the device manager, but I couldn't see anything that depict something wrong.
    look forward to your reply

next thing is to find the cause of the beep.

If you've disabled system beeps in the registry, that tells me its a software beep.

Does it still occur if the speakers are muted?

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

hi again,
    although I mute the speaker the intermittent beep is still there.
    what else can I do?

Hmmmn, this suggests it is actually a system beep!

Lets look deeper, what operating system and service pack is installed?

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

The Operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. As to the service pack, I didn't install it yet.

I've looked into some other reasons why you may hear a "system type" beep and all i can come up with is its either a piece of software telling you it has a problem (they use the speakers to do this, so muting the speakers eliminated this avenue) and a system fault.

The "code" of the beep "should" tell you a little about what could be wrong, by using a "morse code" system of beeps.

These beep codes are slightly different for each type of BIOS, but the main idea is to write down a pattern, and match it against the relevant list HERE (click Here)

However, the fact this beep still occurs AFTER system boot confuses me.

Try checking your startup list to see if a recently removed program entry is still there, trying to start. We have had this issue after Virus removal before...

Let me know how you get on with those beep codes.

My suggestions after this are thin, and involve going back into the control panel, selecting sounds, and going through the system sounds one by one to find a match.
    If anyone else has an idea, feel free to jump in!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

ohhhh! I'm really frustrated with it. I tried to write the rhythm or pattern of the beep code, but I couldn't find a constant pattern albeit I did it time and again. It makes 1 or 2 or 3 beep & becomes silent. Again it starts to beep continuously. Sometimes it makes 2 beeps and becomes silent for seconds and then makes 4 or 5 beeps and again becomes silent for seconds and makes continuous beeps. At times, it makes 3 or 4 or 5 beeps and in between makes double beep, and continues the single beep. I couldn't really comprehend why it makes such an erratic series of beeps (beep code). By the way, does this mean anything to you?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

According to The complete BIOS beep guide - TechSpot OpenBoards, but also depending on make and model of your PC
    High frequency beeps while running Overheated CPU- Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.
    As MrDarn suspects, it is probably a hardware problem and perhaps best helped by taking it in to a reputable computer store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast