Default Computer trouble "choose the program you want to use to open file."

Hi, I just want to first say thank you for helping.

Couple days ago I was on the computer and all of a sudden I recieve the magical Anti-virus scans that you don't want. Everytime I close them they would just start up and go again. It even did this in safe mode. I got lucky and ran SuperAntiSpyware while dealing with the virus scans and alot of stuff came up trojans, etc. I deleted it all and thought all was good. I log back in and virus, etc seem to be gone and I can get in IE, but every other program comes up with "choose the program you want to use to open file." I can't figure it out. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

What probably has happened is that the malware you had changed or deleted the file association to the programs. eg. a .doc file doesn't know the program that created it, like MSWord. You can correct this a number of ways .. 1) when getting the message, select the program that you want to open the file and then check the box at the bottom of the window 'always open with' > OK. 2) you can change the associations by double clicking on My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types > select the file extension (eg .doc) click Change button > select the program, check box > OK. You can check what program is associated with what extension here File Extensions that Start with the Letter A . DougKnoxs' site has some registry fixes for XP and Vista, look under 'win XP fixes' > File Association fixes (if you're using XP), read the instructions and select the extension fixes you need (he lists the more common ones, so they all aren't there) Doug's Windows 95/98/Me/XP/Vista Tweaks and Tips .