Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Won't boot beyond Windows XP screen

Odd: Windows will not reboot beyond the Windows XP screen because a flash of blue right after the screen appears stops the boot process. However, If I hit F8 in the process I can boot to a previous config. in good condition. What's the deal?

Blog Entries

It could be many things....we need a bit more info about your computer

Have you tried a system restore if this just started happening
    How to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with the Command prompt in Windows XP

Also, make sure no usb sticks or DVD/CDs were left installed
    (it maybe trying to boot from them)

Do you have a WinXP disk?

BTW: backup your data ASAP
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thank you for your interest. Well, I can neither boot to safe mode nor boot to the recovery console. Since I made this post I have discovered the object of the blue screen: ***Stop 0X0000007B (0X0000000E, 0X00000000, 0X00000000). As I undersand, these digital codes have to do with hardware, yet I have no question that all this began with a virus and trojan. The fact that I can reboot to a previous configuration, yet not be able to reboot to that same config. is puzzeling.

Blog Entries

As already mentioned ....It could be many things....we need a bit more info about your computer

Do you have a WinXP Disk or the computer restore disks or a restore partition....if it is bad hardware restoring and repairing Windows will not help....but most of the time it is just a hardware driver...or boot corruption on the HDD....that is fixable many times with a Windows repair (keeps your data)....then running the Help2Go antivirus and antimalware tools

The next resort is to clean install...reformating will fix any virus problems....clean installs remove all your data and put you back to square one...you will need to install the Service Packs and all critical windows updates...we will save that for a last resort

To help you...you need to read the posts and answer the questions....thanks in advance..abs
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-23-2011 at 08:42 PM.

If you mean by WinX the original installation disc, yes I do. Thank you.

You mentioned that drivers might be a problem. When running Autorun the following drivers were not found:

Changer File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Changer.sys
    i2omgmt File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.sys
    lbrtfdc File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.sys
    MBAMSwissArmy File not found: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
    PCIDump File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.sys
    PDCOMP File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDCOMP.sys
    PDFRAME File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDFRAME.sys
    PDRELI File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDRELI.sys
    PDRFRAME File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDRFRAME.sys
    rt2500usb File not found: system32\DRIVERS\rt2500usb.sys
    SANDRA File not found: C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005.SR2a\Sandra.sys

VolSnap File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\VolSnap.sys
    WDICA File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\WDICA.sys

When researching these files a number of them were linked to viruses or trojans. Indeed, before the problem occured I had a trojand but was cleaned by AVG even though the problem persisted. Possible these files are the remnants of the cleaning process?

One more bit of info. I recently replaced the hard drive. An image was made from the old drive and installed on the new. When running a virus ck on the new drive a viruse was discovered and cleaned. Sorry for dribling the info., however I just remembered this.

Hi Scroodge,

Stop Error code 0x0000007B: can be caused by a few different issues including the Boot Sector being infected. Lets see if the following helps first.

STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE
    In your post above you mentioned that you have the WinXP installation disk. Correct?

Your Windows XP setup CDROM has a tool called the Recovery Console, which is designed to help you repair a damaged master boot record or boot sector. To start the Recovery Console and fix your damaged MBR, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer with the Windows XP Setup disk in the CDROM drive.
    • If you are prompted to press a key to start the computer from CDROM, do so quickly. Otherwise it may try to boot from the hard drive.
    • After a few minutes, you'll see a prompt to press the R key to start the Recovery Console.
    • When Recovery Console starts, it will prompt you to enter a number corresponding to the Windows XP installation that you need to repair. In most cases, you'll enter "1" (which will be the only choice). If you press ENTER without typing a number, Recovery Console will quit and restart your computer.
    • Enter your Administrator password. If you don't enter the correct password, you cannot continue. (if you don't know the password try just pressing the Enter key)
    • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type fixmbrand then verify that you want to proceed.

Your damaged MBR will be replaced with a shiny new one, and you should then be able to boot your system normally. In some cases, you may need to repair the boot sector in addition to the MBR. If your system still doesn't boot properly, repeat the steps above, but issue the fixboot command instead.

Also, since you do have the disk you can also reinstall the Operating System and start anew that way but I believe you will need the Product Id key that should be on the case of the disk. You will then have to visit the Microsoft Windows Update site.

So that you are not awaiting further instructions if needed, I am off to work and one of the other members may jump in to help guide you further.

Good Luck!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Donna Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, as mentioned above I am unable to boot to the cd Windows XP.

Blog Entries

What make and model is the computer?

You need to change the boot up sequence/order to boot from a WinXP Disk, CD or dvd...this is done in the BIOS

How to change the boot sequence in the BIOS

When the option to boot from the CD rom is first the WinXP disk will load...but you must wait for the press any key to appear...then press any key

More info....an any easy process...any questions just ask
    How to change the boot sequence in the BIOS

As you can see, there is a First, Second and Third Boot Device. Scroll down and use the arrow keys to change the device to HDD , Floppy, CDROM, or Network. You could also have a BIOS that looks like this: (not all are the same in the BIOS pic below...but are similar)

The instructions for changing the boot order are in the sidebar, but usually it requires pressing the + or – buttons to move items up and down in the order list. The first item in the list is what will be scanned first when booting. If boot media is not found, it will try the second device and so on.

Then follow DonnaB's instructions
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-24-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast