Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Firefox & SpywareBlaster

For some time I have been using Firefox 3.6.17 and SpywareBlaster 4.4 on two different computers, with no problems at all. Today, SpywareBlaster indicates, on one of the computers, that it does not detect Firefox (and therefore the protection is not enabled). The other computer is OK.

Can anyone advise what I need to alter on the first computer to make Firefox visible again to SpywareBlaster. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling both programs.

Daphne

Blog Entries

Try the newer version of Firefox

Firefox4

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Hi,

I had the same problem. You could also try this:

Go to Tools -> Clear Recent History and uncheck Site Preferences. Re enable protection for all items in SpywareBlaster and you should be fine.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

I really want to keep Firefox version 3.6.17 for the time being (certain important add ons etc do not yet work with version 4).

I did not have Site Preferences checked. I have now checked it, tried SpywareBlaster, then unchecked it and tried SpywareBlaster again - it still does not detect Firefox.

Daphne

I have just noticed that a file called bdWruSduNKKJP.exe was quarantined today by my Avast antivirus program. It was removed from C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data.

Could this have something to do with it?

Daphne

Hi Daphne,

As for the SpywareBlaster 4 vs FF 3.6.17 try the following:

Go to Tools > Options > Privacy Settings then under History place a check mark in Clear history when Firefox closes (if not checked) then click on Settings buttons to the right. Under Data uncheck Site Preferences and see if that works for you.

If not, follow the instructions below. After the scans complete and nothing else is found, try the above again.

The file, bdWruSduNKKJP.exe is known to be malicious. Since Avast has conquered the beast and has it quarantined in the Virus Chest I wouldn't worry about it too much though I would follow the instructions on How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer.

If anything else is found by the scans and you still can't get SpywareBlaster to acknowledge FF please start a new thread in our Spyware Help forum and post your logs in there. Please, Do Not post your logs in the Computer Help forum.

Could this have something to do with it?
    Anything is possible.

If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your advice and suggestions. Amending the Firefox settings, as indicated, did not achieve anything. SpywareBlaster says (when I click on “Mozilla Firefox” at the left hand side) that “No Mozilla Firefox user profiles were detected on this account”. Do you know where the user profiles should be located and how they can be reinstalled?

I already have CCleaner and Malwarebytes and had activated both earlier in the day (after Avast had found and quarantined the rogue file). Malwarebytes reported “No malicious items” found.

Daphne

Daphne,

I already have CCleaner and Malwarebytes and had activated both earlier in the day (after Avast had found and quarantined the rogue file). Malwarebytes reported “No malicious items” found.
    That's great to hear though I'd still install SuperAntiSpyware (SASW) and run it as well because SASW has a totally different definition database than MBAM does. What one may find the other may not...vice versa. I have both and run them consecutively and SASW usually finds Adware Cookies (amongst others things) that MBAM does not.

Are you using Firefox at this moment to make your posts? If so, Firefox is not the problem. I'm starting to think this is a SpywareBlaster problem because SpywareBlaster can't find Firefox. Prior versions of SpywareBlaster had this issue and updates for the program solved it.

But, to find the user's profile folder for Mozilla Firefox:

Click on Start > Run > and type in %APPDATA% then click OK

In the "Windows Explorer" window that comes up search for Mozilla. If the folder is there then you should be good to go.

Personally, I would perform a clean install of SpywareBlaster. To do this follow these instructions:

Clean Install Instructions:

1. Open SpywareBlaster and press the "Disable All Protection" link under "Quick Tasks".
    2. Close SpywareBlaster.
    3. Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the entry named "SpywareBlaster v3.5.1"
    4. Download the latest SpywareBlaster installer from Javacool Software

Please keep us informed to your progress.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks again for your advice.

There is a Profiles folder in place (although it is hidden). "Clean Install" did not change the situation.

I think the rogue file must have caused certain settings to be altered before it was quarantined. Task Manager did not work, but I recovered that by doing what it says on Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator.

I have now discovered that I am unable to use System Restore to get back to an earlier date. All of the System Restore points are there and can be selected but after apparently going through the restore process, it gives a message saying unable to restore to that point. Is there a registry fix that I can perform to recover the use of System Restore (similar to that above, which allowed me to recover Task Manager)?

Daphne

Blog Entries

Have you tried system restore from safe mode?

(The corruption with Widows running normal could be problematic...thus the safe mode option....it will run only basic drivers and software...might work?)

Also, another option below:

To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:
    1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
    2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
    3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
    4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
    5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
    6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.
    Credits: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-27-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast