Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ikons stacked in Task Bar.

I am using Vista Home Premium SP2. For quite some time now, the Ikons that display open programs are stacked in my Task Bar rather than being displayed individually and only two Ikons are visible no matter how many programs are open. This causes problems when I open another copy of a program or document without realizing that a copy is already running. If I open Task Manager after I have been on the computer for awhile, I sometimes find multiple copies of programs or documents running. Previously, the individual Ikons would be displayed side by side.

Hi oldray,

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here, but when you say stacked, I think you mean Grouped. I have Vista Home Premium as well and I have mine set to Group similar buttons when I have several of the same programs such as notepad open.

See if this helps you:

• Right click on the Taskbar
    • choose Properties
    • choose Taskbar tab
    • uncheck Group similar buttons on the taskbar

Let me know if that helps.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi oldray,

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here, but when you say stacked, I think you mean Grouped. I have Vista Home Premium as well and I have mine set to Group similar buttons when I have several of the same programs such as notepad open.

See if this helps you:

• Right click on the Taskbar
    • choose Properties
    • choose Taskbar tab
    • uncheck Group similar buttons on the taskbar

Let me know if that helps.

Donna

Default Ikons stacked in taskbar

Donna,

Thanks for responding. I am aware of that option and it is unchecked. The situation I have is that it stacks Ikons for any thing and I don't always know what is open or how to get back to what I was working on such as a document when the Ikons are showing only an Internet Explorer Ikon and a Windows Mail Ikon. My document might be three deep behind the Windows Mail Ikon or behind the Windows Explorer Ikon.

Anyone else with an idea?

Would you be able to get a screen grab of whats happening?

I think i know what you mean, i just want to be sure before i give instructions.
    Let me know if you need to know how to get a screen grab.

Do you know about the "alt" and "tab" way of switching windows?
    this may help you find what you are looking for a bit easier until we get this one sorted out for you.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Default Ikons stacked in Taskbar

McDarn

Yes, I use Alt/Tab all the time.
    I don't always know what I am going to get though with this problem. When this occurs there are only two Ikons showing and there can be numerous Ikons/Open Programs stacked behind the displayed ones. There could be several Internet Explorer Ikons and Window Mail Ikons along with other open programs/documents This only occurs when I have been jumping around and not being carefull about closing windows so I lose track (I have ADHD). Regardless. the ikons for open applications used to be displayed beside each other and I was aware of all I had open.

I don't know how to do a "screen grab". PLease tell me how.

Oldray

Learn how to make a screenshot / take-a-screenshot.org

check out the above link.

Save the image in paint, then attach it here using the attach options.

if you can't see any attachment options, you're probably using "quick reply".
    Click "go advanced" in the bottom right corner of the "quick reply" box.

Have you had any problems with Virus or Malware?

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Sorry to seem so unknowageable. I thought that your reference to Screen Grab was some special procedure. I use Print Screen often and paste to a Word Doc. That’s what I have done now. The first attachment is Task Manager showing many open applications. Naturally I would normally never have all of these open at once. I did this purposely to illustrate the problem. The second attachment is of my Desktop showing only one Icon in the Task Bar while all of the applications shown in the Task Manager are running.
    Believe it or not my Task Bar is now showing several Icons. Maybe the problem corrected itself. If so I wish I knew how in case it happens again. I did have to call HP support with a problem where a PC Matic test put my computer in a loop where I could not get past it. They accessed my computer and changed something to get me out of the loop and maybe what they did also corrected my problem.
    Here we go again. I can't find an option to attach files.

When in quick reply (the message reply box below this post) look in the bottom right hand corner. see the "Go Advanced" button?

click that, then scroll down a bit, you should now see an attachments area.

Click "Manage attachments" and follow the prompts.

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Default Can't attach exhibits

I have been trying to attach exhibits of my problem but can’t. I can attach them to email without a problem but not to the thread. The exhibits are in my Documents folder but when I display the folder in the “Select files to Upload” screen it only displays folders, not files, to select.
    My problem isn't as bad now as several Ikons for runing applications are displayed, but not all, I still would like to show you the exhibits.
    I really appreciate your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast