Default PSU fan died now Computer won't start

Hi, I have only a little experience with computer hardware but I was capable of replacing my PSU fan when it died. My computer wouldn't start and I found that the PSU was difficult to turn by hand. Now that the fan is replaced my computer still won't start. The keyboard flashes when the PSU switch is turned on. When ON the DVD opens/closes, both PSU and CPU fans turn but monitor stays black. There are no beeps. I have an old computer/monitor lying around so I was able to test the cords (they are fine).

The computer is a Pentium 4 that a friend set up for me. I was running Windows XP. The PSU is an EZMAX YH-480W (115/230V 8A 50-60Hz)

I was going to replace the PSU, but I wonder if it's the motherboard since everything seems to be getting power. I checked the 4 pin and 20 pin connections to the motherboard and they are seated fine.

Could it still be the PSU and do I have to replace it to tell for sure?

Thanks

Hi Creeping Doom,

Since the fan jammed up on the power supply unit it's possible other internal damage could have occurred too. I think the most logical thing to do first is to swap out the entire power supply and then see where we are at that point in time. Good luck!
    Last edited by zep516; 05-30-2011 at 01:18 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

I figured as much, but I thought I'd check to see if it was something else. I'll go grab a new power supply tonight.

Thanks for your amazingly prompt reply.

Well Zep516, I replaced the PSU and it's running fine (quieter than ever). Thanks again for you assurance, it was the motivation I needed to do something about this computer.

That's great news! Glad to help you with the problem...
    Joe