Default Compaq laptop continually reboots

Hello, I am trying to assist my brother with a problem he is having with his Compaq F755US laptop that is running Vista. The laptop is a few years old, but had a hard drive crash just over a year ago. We bought a larger hard drive, re-installed Vista and used the recovery partition to restore the laptop. It has worked fine until earlier this week.

Now he's having a problem with the laptop continually rebooting. It will start to power on, but before the Compaq splash screen comes up or I can even have the opportunity to get into BIOS or try to boot into safe mode, it powers off for 4-5 seconds and then back on and then off and then on ..... I did make a Vista recovery disk, but the laptop wont stay powered on long enough for the recovery disk to even start up.

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction in my attempt to get this fixed. Thanks in advance.

dar124

There's a few reasons this could be occurring. The most common problem with laptops is they can over heat, once the machine over heats it shuts down to prevent any damage to the processor. Try moving the laptop up off the table so air can move under it. Placing a fan next to it is also something to try and see if that at least keeps it running. There are also small vents on the side of the laptop where hot air is exhausted from the laptop, you can check to make sure these vents are not clogged up with dust and dirt, using a can of canned air is ideal to blow these vents out.

The other possibility is that the laptop is experiencing a fatal system error, commonly called a blue screen error in that event the laptop will also shut down. Ask your brother if he sees a blue screen right before it shuts down, sometimes it happens so fast you really don't see it.

It's been stuck in this rebooting loop for about a week now. After it started happening, he manually powered the laptop off and then tried to restart it later in the day, with the same rebooting issue. So I dont think that it's an issue with over heating. He uses the laptop more like a desktop PC, where it just sits there on a shelf and is connected to an external monitor and a USB keyboard & mouse. In the past he has had some heat issues with the laptop, and we set the laptop up on a little rack/tray so that it has good airflow.

He was able to drop the laptop off to me yesterday. When I try to start it up it will look like it's going to boot, the CD/DVD drive will light up & hard drive will sound like it starts, but after a few seconds and before anything even comes up on the screen it will shut off for a few seconds and then go into that rebooting loop over and over and over.

Make sure everything is disconnected from the laptop all USB devices. Try running it with just the battery too, then with just the ac adapter. See if any difference. I don't see any complaints with windows up date issues either on Vista, but it's always a possibility. Difficult to give advice since you can't access safe mode to do a Windows restore, unless you can borrow a Windows Vista disk from a friend and boot from it to do a repair from disk something to consider. It could be a Ram (Memory) issue too, that's a guess of course, if there are 2 Ram Memory cards in the Laptop take one out and try each one separately to see if that helps or stops it from rebooting.

RAM memory is installed inside of the memory module compartment, which is located on the bottom of the computer on most HP notebook PCs. Some HP notebook PCs are designed with the memory module compartment under the keyboard. If the memory module compartment for your particular notebook PC is under the keyboard, HP recommends that you contact an HP-authorized support or repair facility for assistance in ordering and replacing the RAM memory.
    For additional information on the Laptop see:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3646832
    Last edited by zep516; 05-31-2011 at 09:13 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Hi.
    This sounds like graphic chip failure.unfortunately a common problem on hp compaq laptops,particularly the dv series.
    What happens is due to heat the graphic chip seperates from the m/board and the only option is to have it reballed
    (reattached) or buy a replacement m/board.However I have seen several posts on utube where a diy repair has worked.
    This is the best one i've come across.
    YouTube - ‪HP DV9000 blank screen fix! Video problem BGA rework‬‏

Sorry about taking so long to reply here. Last week was a busy week and then I was out of town until yesterday and wasnt able to respond. But I wanted to give a quick update on this Compaq laptop issue. I was finally able to get it to boot (and stay on)!!! After I got the laptop from my brother, I booted it and continually hit F10 before it shut off. Normally that would get into the bios menu, but the laptop stayed on and seemed to freeze with the screen just flashing, so I pressed F10 a few more times (I must have pressed F10 a total of 30 times). Then a screen came up showing that a hibernation error had occurred and said to hit enter to boot. So I pressed enter and it booted normally.

As soon as it booted, I ran a couple of virus/spyware/malware, etc scans and everything came back ok. I also goggled "Vista, hibernation error" and came across a few articles stating that Vista had previously had issues "waking up" from hibernation. From the articles, it seemed that one of Vistas previous service packs had corrected this issue, but I disabled hibernation anyways. I then tested both sticks of RAM to make sure that they were ok, verified that the laptop was current with its drivers and that Vista was current with its updates. I rebooted it multiple times and it's been up and running ever since with out any issues.

So just wanted to post a quick update here and a thanks to Zep and adamski for thier replies.

Glad to hear it's not the black screen error,symptoms are the same.