Default Photoshop problem

I'm using Photoshop CS5. In earlier versions i opened a photo then every photo i opened after that appeared next to it in separate windows. But in CS5 they appear on top of each other meaning i can't drag them onto each other. I'm sure i must be missing something but i can't think what.
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

Hi Grezaldo,

You should be able to right-click to bring up the contextual menu and select Expand Stack, or simply click on the stack icon in the top thumbnail. You should also be able to choose Expand All Stacks if you have multiple stacks and you want to view all the contents. Numbers in the upper-left corner of the thumbnail indicate the grouping order.

The following tutorial may be of some use to you.
    Learn Photoshop CS5

Let me know if that helps.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Here are some screenshots of the problem. In 1) Elements, the photo opens in a new window. Any more photo's i add also open like this in separate windows. 2)CS5 the photo does not open in a window. 3) I opened three photo's. They are just stacked on top of each other so i can't drag them onto each other. The options box i got by right clicking is shown in screenshot 3
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (33.8 KB, 2 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (28.1 KB, 3 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (36.6 KB, 3 views)

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Grezaldo,

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I fear it's inexperience with the software. Opening multiple images in CS5 creates tabs for each one, because they are separate images to be treated as such. Dragging one image onto another is not the way to combine 2 images, as pointed out to you in a previous post.

Photoshop/Elements Action tool

If you want to combine 2 images, you click the tab to select the image, Select All, and Copy it. Then select the image you want to copy it to, and Paste.

If you want to import images the old way, go to Edit, Preferences, Interface and untick Open Documents as Tabs

Photoshop CS5 is advanced graphics software and takes years to learn properly. I suggest you follow DonnaB's link.
    Last edited by arraknid; 07-01-2011 at 02:20 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

If you want to import images the old way, go to Edit, Preferences, Interface and untick Open Documents as Tabs
    This is exactly what i wanted, thanks so much for that. I was looking for an instruction book for Photoshop CS5 but i found 23. A lot of these books assume the reader knows the basics. I only know a few things that i use regularly like how to cut photo's and add text. I really need an idiot proof step by step guide. Can anyone recommend something easy to follow that will take me from beginner to expert. I know it will take a long time but i am very interested and i can spare a few hours a day to learn.

I really need an idiot proof step by step guide.
    There's a line of books that I just love called For Dummies that come in every subject imaginable. I see that they have one called Photoshop CS5 All-in-One For Dummies.

The Adobe Photoshop CS5 All-In-One for Dummies ebook can also be downloaded if you don't want to order it online from Alibris. Alibris sells new and used books. You may even be able to get it at your local book store.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Donna. I have seen those for dummies books but never read one. I will have a look in my local Waterstones. I don't really like ebooks.

You're welcome Grezaldo, I don't like ebooks either. I prefer to bookmark and thumb through pages when and where ever I like. My first book for Dummies was Windows Vista All-in-one desk reference. I found it very easy to understand and actually enjoyable to read.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

I heard bad things about Vista so i missed it out and went straight from XP to Windows 7. I will get that Dummies book in the morning. Thanks for you're help everyone.