Default Strange Symbols Replace Text in Firefox

Can anyone please advise why I am occasionally getting strange symbols as shown in the two images - one in Firefox & the other in Chrome - instead of text in Firefox ? I am using version 3.6.18 with Windows 7.
    Attached Images
    Barry S Smith

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

These are .jpg files (picture files), it looks like a foreign alphabet and all that's happening is that the picture was titled in a different language, as you would do on one of your own picture files (mydog.jpg). If this is showing up on more than .jpg files I would suggest you may have your settings in Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages > Details > another language other than one using Roman letters (English) as an installed service, if so, highlight it and > Remove. One other possibility is that the site you're getting the .jpgs from has problems with its programming.
    Last edited by Canuck; 07-15-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Hi Barry, in reply to your PM to me, I see what you're referring to .. I think the same applies, that in the second notice it is written in a different style (Russian, Chinese or other non Roman alphabet) and as your computer is not set up to read one of those cyrillic languages it comes out with the gobbledygook that you see. Unless you can read the language, there really is no point in setting your PC up to read it (you'd have to set it up by trial and error to find out what alphabet it's in).

Thanks Canuck, but I think we're at odds here. The computer is reading the language ok in Chrome etc. but not at the same resolution in Firefox. I have found that if I zoom out on the Firefox image, eventually the text affected changes to the correct text, it just won't display at the magnification that I am using - which is my everyday one and nothing special.
    Barry S Smith

That is strange Barry, I do remember I installed the zoom feature in my Firefox and it worked fine, however, when FF upgraded, I believe it stated that some of the add-ons would not work .. one of them being the zoom add-on. See if there is a newer version of zoom add-on for the version you're running.

I've just installed https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/nosquint/ and it seems to work well, it also has the option of changing colours for 'read'/'not read' and underlining links which is handy.

Others may have some ideas, so stay tuned.
    Last edited by Canuck; 07-16-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Again, thanks Canuck. Co-incidentally, I have changed to Firefox ver 5 and this seems to have sorted the problem, so I will stick with this and see how it goes.
    Barry S Smith