Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Alright, I'm at work now (with a better selection of programs to work with) so I think that I was able to attach a screenshot of the BIOS setup screen that I getting. It only gives me the option to "Hit F12 to boot from the network".

I will try booting from the DVD while hitting the space bar and if that doesnt work I'll remove the CMOS battery for aprox 30 minutes, but I will again have to wait until later today or tomorrow when I'm home from work. I am vaguely familiar with how to jump the motherboard. With a bit of an explanation, I'm sure that it's something that I could do.
    Attached Files

Blog Entries

You need to wait a few minutes it seems to be entering (BIOS) setup....do not hit F12 (Network) that does not pertain to you and is just another option

Give it another try before you remove the battery etc
    (Boot with the F1 key again and wait a few minutes...hopefully you can get in the BIOS and change the boot order)

I must admit it is still not good to have a damaged partition....but if you can get to the repair panel there is hope

I am trying to avoid a clean install...but with your backup on an external drive ....you are better off than most people
    (It gives us options for later)
    Last edited by abseh1; 07-29-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

The PC sat there like that on that screen yesterday between my post @ 6:54 and my next post @ 8:41 and at that time I did hit the F12 key. So roughly 1 hour & 45 minutes and nothing. I'll try it again a couple more times later today or tomorrow when I get out of work and have a free minute or two. I'd prefer to try the "repair" option from the install disk, so I'll keep trying to get into the BIOS setup, etc. Thanks abs.

Blog Entries

dar124 wrote
    I'd prefer to try the "repair" option from the install disk, so I'll keep trying to get into the BIOS setup, etc. Thanks abs.
    We may be able to save a lot of time

Did you just backup files on the external drive or did you image the disk too?

My Seagate USB external drive has a setting for it to periodically run a scan of selected files / folders / drives. I have it set to scan the system twice a week to pick up any changes to my D drive. My D drive is where all my media (My Docs, My Pics, My Music, etc) is stored. Also everytime I install a program I also download it and save it on my D drive in a Program Downloads folder, so in theory, all my files and a copy of all my installed programs should be on the D drive and therefore also backed up on the external drive.

And now that you mention it I do remember that Windows 7 has an imaging option within the OS. I'll have to check to see if I initially made an image and copied it over to the external drive. I sort of remember making a back up, but I also built an XP laptop around the same time and might be confusing the two. In the next day or so, I'll take a look at what's on the external drive and let you know.

Blog Entries

Ok ...no hurry...later

Blog Entries

More info when you have the time

System Image Recovery - Windows 7 Forums

Take a look @ #2 in the link above....reference external drives
    2. If you are "Not Able to Boot" into Windows 7

Ok, I'm back ... sorry it took me so long to respond here. Weekends are supposed to be days off, but they always seem to be busier than a nice normal work day!!!

I've tried all the suggestions that were posted, and I'm still unable to get the PC to boot into BIOS or to load the Windows 7 install CD. But, I looked thru my external drive (see the attached pics in the zip file) and it appears that I did set up a Windows Backup and it looks like it's from 7-11, so it's probabaly not that different from what was on the PC at the time of the attempted partition changes.

If those files listed there are indeed backup images, how would I go about using the to re-image the PC?? Thanks.
    Attached Files

Ok, another upate here. I was able to get to PC to boot into BIOS, but I'm a bit confused now.

I actually disconnected the hard drive, booted and hit F2 and the PC loaded BIOS. So I made sure that the CD/DVD drive was the 1st boot device & hit F10 to save changes, but after I powered off the PC, connected the hard drive (so that the Windows 7 disk can load and try to repair any issues) and booted again, it booted from the hard drive just like it did before. My thought was that the hard drive had some issues so if I disconnected it and got into BIOS to change the boot order it would force it to boot to the CD/DVD drive first.

I think this is a bit of progress, but I still seem to be a bit stuck??

I see one folder that says Windows image backup What's in that? double click it. Also see link for additional Seagate help / Info.

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/s..._win_ug_en.pdf

FreeAgent: USB 2.0 External, Portable & Desktop Hard Drives - Data Backups | Seagate

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast