Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Problems after using EaseUS Partition Master

Hello, I'm having some issues after a recent attempt to move some disk space from my D drive to my C drive. I'm got a Gateway PC running Windows 7.

I used EaseUS partition master to move 20 GB from my D drive into unallocated space. That worked without any issues. After a reboot, I then tried to add that 20 GB of space to my C drive. The program went thru the normal steps of moving the data and getting to 100% complete, then it automatically rebooted the PC, but instead of loading Windows it's frozen on the Gateway splash screen. It was like that for a couple of hours, so I manually powered the PC off and then on again, and now it only comes back to the splash screen, and nothing else happens.

I googled a few different things relating to this and read that some people used the Windows 7 install disk to repair the Windows 7 OS, I have tried to get into the BIOS / Boot Menu / Settings screens by pressing F10 or F2 at startup, but I'm unable to get past the splash screen. I would apprecieate any assistance you can give me. Thanks.

Will the computer boot to safe mode? Turn the computer off then on keep tapping the f8 key to see if you can get to the windows advanced boot options menu, a repair option is there. Let us know if you can get to the advanced boot options menu...

What disks do you have with this computer?

Blog Entries

After the Gateway BIOS logo appears, press ALT+F10.

The easiest method is to hold down the ALT key and repeatedly press the F10 key

Newer Gateway models just press the F12 key
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

I've tried the F10 (boot menu), F2 (BIOS settings), F8 all without any luck. After I boot the PC I immediately press the F10 or F2 or F8 keys repediately, but it stays frozen on the Gateway splash screen.

abesh1 & zep516 - I tried both of your suggestions, Alt+F10 or F12 and F8 to get into safe mode, but still no luck.

I have the original Windows 7 install disk, which I thought had a "repair" option availabe on it. But without being able to boot to the install CD, I'm unable to get to that option. Any other suggestions??

Have you tried just putting the Windows 7 install disk in the cd Rom drive then turn the computer off and on ? The computer should boot from the disk.

Yep, I have tried that. It does sound like the CD spins, but I get the same result, the Gateway splash screen comes up and the PC is pretty much frozen on that screen. I was hoping that with the install CD in the drive it would boot from the CD and then let me use one of the repair options on the disk.

Blog Entries

It is often a matter of timing

It has taken me several reboots and hit any key to final start the Win7 DVD

Too bad you did not create the Win7 restore disks

Are you hitting any key to continue?

This will give you a clean install or backup restore if you created Win7 backup disks
    =======================
    My guess is the MBR and partition are damaged ...not an easy fix

You can install a Linux OS and repair the partition...Knoppix is a good choice

Then try the Win7 DVD again

SystemRescueCd
    UBCD for Windows
    ===================
    Option2
    And probably the easiest

Reformat the drive (as a slave) on another computer or external USB drive and reinstall Win7

You should also, be able to recover files as it will be a slave drive ....but recover the files before you reformat

I'll try putting the Windows 7 CD back in and rebooting a few more times to see if I can get it to boot. I know when I first started using this PC Windows kept prompting me to create the back up/restore disk, I thought that I did. I'll have to check my external drive to see if it's on there. I do have most of my important (pics, music, docs, etc) files backed up to my external drive, but I'd rather try to repair the PC as it is instead of re-imaging it and re-installing everything because I'm sure that there are some things that were saved or installed but not backed up.

Blog Entries

Ok ...good luck...glad you have a lot of files on a backup

Did you make or have a repair disk....it is different from the backup CD's?....if you do use it

Maybe you can avoid the old backup on the External drive that is a bit out of date?

Blog Entries

Summary

We need to get to a boot option either using the BIOS access key or the boot key to allow the boot from DVD

The Win7 will give you a repair option or a repair or allow a clean install

BTW: What is the model of your Gateway and is it a desktop or laptop?
    =======================================
    To zep516...feel free to jump in I did not mean to hijack this thread....abs

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast