Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fresh install of XP home and having problems

I have a laptop with XP home that I reformatted the HD and reloaded it with XP home, SP1, and IE 6. The problem is I can't get any further with downloads. If I try to install IE7 (or 8), it asks for either net frames SP2 or XP SP2. If I try to dl either of those, I get the message I need net frames. It is a circle that has no end in sight. I did dl net frames 2.0 but cant get SP2 to add to it. Net frames 3.5 wont dl either, nor will XP SP3. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

You need update Win Update Installer 3.5... a small update that allows further updates....best to turn on auto updates and allow it to find it for you
    (not to be confused with netframe 3.5...they are different updates)

Then copy and paste this link
    Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP

Then run Win Updates...and update to IE8 when it becomes available

You have a long road ahead it takes many restarts and running windows updates to get all the critical updates and service pack 3
    Last edited by abseh1; 09-04-2011 at 09:27 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

I could not find installer 3.5, but did find 3.1. There was a 4.5 but it would not dl. I installed 3.1 and it shows in the contol panel programs, but I still do not get any action on anything. XP SP2 and net frames 2.0 SP1 or 2 won't run. Suggestions?
    Last edited by tenny; 09-04-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: two changes-typo errors

Hi fellow members. Just a heads up here.

Do not install IE8 prior to SP3 or you will have to uninstall SP3 before uninstalling IE8 if it gives you problems.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the heads-up.

Blog Entries

Go to the windows update via programs directly

Wait for an option to update the windows update page...check the activex bar in the IE browser and allow active x

Sorry, I meant 3.1...my bad

Go to Microsoft from the the update page and download IE7

You can wait awhile and let windows auto update download the first set of updates....it may take awhile

Once you get IE7 you will be on your way

There a numerous updates sometimes as many as 70 plus @ a time...you will need to restart and go back to windows updates via programs icon or wait for auto updates

It is a pain....so many security/critical updates, but...if you need more info just ask

BTW: Donna made a good point.....but times are changing and you should never go back to IE7...you want IE8 as a final and last browser for WinXP

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

I have IE7 on my desktop and it won't install. Error message is...not supported by the current service pack. I am on SP1 and can't install SP2. SP2 says it wont install because I need net framework 2.0 SP2. Net frame SP1 won't load because I need XP SP2. HELP! I am going crazy lol. All of the programs are dl to my desktop. I have net framework SP3.5 and it won't install because it needs XP SP2

Blog Entries

Yes, it is a consecutive update requirements....do you have SP1 installed...it is needed for SP2 or SP3?

Have you turned on Auto Updates?

You really need to update the windows update page and stay with the windows update page and auto updates

There are direct links to SP2 and SP3...but you should have auto updates get you there

It can be done manually but takes hands-on...or prior experience in some cases

Check the link below
    Scroll down to resolutions
    (there is a fixit option too)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
    Last edited by abseh1; 09-04-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Updates is turned on and I have it set it twice to do auto updates within the hour and it does not happen. XP SP1 is installed. Note that clicking Windows update takes me to a page that is for IP persons doing multiple PC's. I have to try to find another win update. I suspect Mircrosoft has updated somethings and not others. Is there a phone number I could call you?

Blog Entries

Windows update takes me to a page that is for IP persons doing multiple PC's
    That warning can be ignored...a single download will work too.....but that page is not for you it is for experienced users....

Have you read my post above your last?

You need the Download and install the Windows Update Agent
    Check the link below
    Scroll down to resolutions
    (there is a fixit option too)
    You cannot install updates from Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Update after a repair install of Windows XP or after you install Windows XP SP3 immediately after a clean install of Windows XP SP2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast