Default Triple boot problem.

I have a Dell laptop I purchased with the harddrive partitioned with a triple boot of XP, Vista, and Beta Windows 7 Ultimate. I am using Vista as the main system but have decided that the 7 Ultimate is what I want to use. Is it possible to remove the other two partitions and make the harddrive all one system again? I have never received any disc's or recovery disc's. What kind of mess am I in for? I need guidance.

Blog Entries

You just drop the DVD in the tray, and restart your system. At some point during the boot, you’ll be given the option to “Press any key to boot from CD/DVD,” or something along those lines—do so. (If you don’t get this option, go into the BIOS and move the DVD drive ahead of the hard drive in the boot order). Windows will load files from the disk for a moment, then the installer will launch. Select your language preferences, then click Install Now.

Do not do an upgrade of Vista...do the Win7 Custom install option and reformat the old HDD

Note: This will also remove any Dell Restore Partition too....so once you install Win 7 ...create backup Win7 CD'd and a Win 7 repair disk

Win7 will reformat the complete HDD and remove all but Win7
    (this will allow the use on the complete HDD for Win7 and remove the other Vista and WinXP...so backup your data)

You have beta so the computer seems to be compatible for Win7
    Check here for compatibility of Win7 Ultimate for your Dell

You will need a valid Win7 license and Ultimate Win7 DVD
    Also, you have two choice 32 and 64 bit...use the appropriate DVD

While the maximum RAM limit for 32-bit Windows 7 editions is 4GB, when it comes to the 64-bit editions, the amount of memory that the OS can address depends on which edition you are running.
    Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:
    • Starter: 8GB
    • Home Basic: 8GB
    • Home Premium: 16GB
    • Professional: 192GB
    • Enterprise: 192GB
    • Ultimate: 192GB
    See the 32 vs 64 bit link below...if you have a question just ask
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

. WARNING: Formatting removes all data from a drive, so make sure you’ve backed up everything. This is the point of no return. That’s all Windows 7 needs to know, so go make yourself a sandwich while your new OS is installed.
    (On the link below if you get a commercial ad... possible, but should got direct to the link...look @ continue in the top right corner of the page to skip the ad...ignore the USB Install section...you will be using your HDD)
    Maximum PC | How-To: Install Windows 7 the Right Way

Last edited by abseh1; 10-02-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Below is more info than you probably need ....it may leave the Dell Restore Partition intact...if it appears ...chose primary for the HDD
    Tutorial:
    How to Partition the Hard Drive in a Windows 7 Install
    Published by iseeuu

Thanks for the quick reply, and I figured that I was going to have to get a program to wipe this out. I was hoping there was another way. Guess I'll just bite the bullet then. Thanks again for your time and information.

Blog Entries

Your welcome

Ultimate beta...should have expired ....however, if it is still working for you...just boot it up
    Note: It really needs to be updated to be secure from malware...that would require a license purchase for Win7 Ultimate or an upgrade version for Vista
    The Win7 upgrade will still allow a clean/custom install and would be cheaper

I am surprised it is still booting
    The expiration date of Windows 7 Beta is August 1, 2009 but problems will start to occur on June 1, 2009

6. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

It sounded good when I got the laptop, but it quickly became a hassle. Thanks I am going to get a disc and redo the system in Windows 7. Again thanks for your help.

Blog Entries

My pleasure...good luck

Unless you really need the Ultimate version...Win7 home premium upgrade is fine and cheaper too

Compare Windows - Microsoft Windows