Default dim screen on HP 8530p laptop

I have a HP 8530P laptop running Windows7 Pro with 4GB of ram. I love the laptop, except that it always seems to have a dim screen.

I have read a few things online and having a dim screen seems to be a fairly regular complaint for this HP model. My device manager says that I have the most recent driver, which is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 driver from 8/17/09 and is version 8.632.1.2000. I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any suggestions on how I could either verify that I have the most recent driver, check for an updated driver or any other options to "fix" this dim screen issue. Thanks in advance.

Hi dar124,

Let's try the easy solution first to see if that works. On the laptop keyboard, look at the top row of keys for a key that has a symbol that resembles the sun with a line down the middle of it and has a minus symbol (-) on one side and a plus symbol (+) on the other side. Might be the F8 key.

Press the Fn key on the keyboard then tap the F8 key on the top row. That should brighten or dim the screen.

Some laptops you just press the Fn key then press the left arrow key to dim or the right arrow key to brighten.

Then again, other laptops you press the Fn and the up arrow key to brighten or the down arrow key to dim.

The combination keys are different for each laptop though the Fn key when pressed is what triggers the secondary function of the shared keys.

Let me know if that helps. We can go from there if needed.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hello DonnaB, thanks for the reply. I had actually previously tried the Fn + f10 (to increase the screen brightness) and also tried the Control Panel + Hardware and Sound + Power Options and verified the slider at the bottom is all the way to the right which is as bright as it can go. But the laptop screen isnt any brighter.

Hi dar124,

I found a thread that pertains to Resolving Problems with the Brightness of the Display on the HP Notebook. Instead of posting each troubleshooting method, thought it best to post the link itself. Hopefully there is something in the link below that may help resolve the problem. I see they refer to the F7 key to increase brightness and the F8 key to decrease brightness.

If nothing in the article helps, there is also a link at the bottom of the article for you to Contact HP service and support.

If you find that one of the troubleshooting methods helps you it could help many others with the same issue so please keep us informed to your progress. In the meantime, I'll continue to look around for more possible solutions that are not listed in the article.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks DonnaB, I'll check that link out later today when I get home from work.

Ok, so it took some searching and a bit of luck. But I FINALLY got this screen to get brighter. I did look at the HP link inDonnaB's last post, but didnt have much luck with it. The newest video driver out there was only 1-2 months newer than the one that I currently have and in its description the updated driver didnt fix anything related to screen brightness. So I didnt feel comfortable updating it.

On my keyboard FN+F9 is to decrease brightness, FN+F10 is to increase brightness. And after a few various google searches I read about turning off the ambient light sensor. So after a simple FN+F11 the screen is nice and bright!!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dar124 For This Useful Post:

Oh now that's great to hear! I am so glad you got that sorted.

Till next time. Have a great day!